Drilling holes through older 14" wheel head

Jen WC

Hi Everyone,
I searched but didn`t find this discussed elsewhere. I hope someone or more will help me meet my challenge. :rolleyes:
I am new to throwing, but determined. I bought  a used, but excellent condition, Shimpo/Nidec pottery wheel (whisper) with the 14" wheel head.
Everything I´ve read suggests that having using batts will make it easier to use the wheel - but the wheel head doesn`t have holes. 
I bought batt pins - but I really don`t know where to start.
It seems really hard to turn the 45 kg wheel on its side to start the process of removing it.
Has anyone done this before?
Can I use a template I have, mark 2 holes ten inches apart and use an appropriate drill bit to drill through - without removing the wheel head? I´m comfortable with my measuring and use of the drill - but I was hoping to get ideas, feedback, encouragement and/or things to watch-out for before I take this risk.
Any and all help appreciated!
Thanks so much, Jen

You should be able to drill it without removing it, but you'll want to inspect the underside of the wheelhead to make sure you're not hitting any ridges or anything on the underside. To make the holes, center up a bat on the wheelhead, hold it secure and use a sharpie to mark the holes. Then use a center punch to mark the center of each hole. If you don't have a center punch then use a hammer and nail to make a small dent in the center of each mark. That little dent will keep the drill bit from drifting as you start to drill. Make a pilot hole using a small bit, like 3/32", then go to the 1/4" bit for the final hole. Make sure you stay perpendicular to the wheel as you drill.

41 minutes ago, Jen WC said:

Can I use a template I have, mark 2 holes ten inches apart and use an appropriate drill bit to drill through - without removing the wheel head?

I think as Neil mentioned above mark the reinforcing ribs on the side and top of the wheel head and take your best batt centered exactly on the wheel and positioned with the pin holes centered between the support ribs as a template and precisely mark your holes. From there center punch and drill. You should be able to center the batt very accurately by observing the edge of the wheel and edge of the batt while slowly rotating the wheel. So yes I would use the batt as a template.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Before drilling, I would cover the hole the shaft comes up through with a something to gather the drill shavings as you would not want that material to work its way into the bearings. Others have mentioned the support ribs on the underside of the wheel head, be certain to position your two hole well away from these and yet centered on the wheel head. . . nothing worse at times than an off centered bat. I made some of my own bats years ago and got one with the pin holes off center. . . what a mess!

best,

Pres

Wow, Thank you ALL!!! 
You hit the nails, bits, bats, and blocks on the head!!!
Cumulatively - I feel well-prepared now. If I remember, I´ll be back with a photo. Won`t be for a bit as we´ve got guests coming for the next 10 days.
But I am even more excited now to do this!Thanks again, Jen

Edited by Jen WC