QotW: Do you have a favorite tool for throwing or hanbuilding that you can not do without?

Hi folks, I was working a workshop this last weekend, talking about tools, when it hit me that I used one particular tool in preference to most of the others. This got me to wondering if others out there have a "go to" tool. A tool that you turn to whenever working with the clay because it seems just so right. My tool is the spoon end of a bamboo spoon from a moderately priced bamboo kitchen tool set. I use it to open up bowls and dishes, either flat or deep bottom forms, to shape/inflate pitchers and vases, large or small. It is almost the entire tool set in many cases. My second most favorite tool is a throwing stick that I use to open up chalice cups and mugs along with the occasional bottle form.

QotW: Do you have a favorite tool for throwing or hanbuilding that you can not do without?

best,

Pres

Several!
Large sponge*
Needle tool - made from a small screwdriver, the end ground to a point - the handle and overall length is "just right" for me
Two wooden knife tools
Metal ribs - for exterior, I'm wearing away inexpensive generic kidneys now, preserving the more expensive brand name bowl curve one for interiors only
Trimming tool made from a hack saw blade

That's five, aah, yep, I need them!
There are a few other tools that see frequent use - bit o' chamois, cheap plastic caliper, ballpoint pen, loop trimmer, chattering tools (made from hack saw blades), wood ribs, drill bits, small kitchen knife - it'd be tough without the five tho'...

*I cut a very large sponge into two somewhat large sponges, one to use while working, the other sits in the corner of the built in splash pan, where I set tools that are difficult (for me) to pick up. Smaller sponges also cut from a very large into purposeful shapes and sizes; I use a rounded corner bit a lot.

A 4” square of chamois, or artificial equivalent as for car washing, in my right hand for throwing. It delivers a minimum - just right - amount of water to the pot and can wrap around fingers that could be abraded by the wheel head.

Needle tool. It’s handy to put the back end of wood-handled needle tool in the pencil sharpener to make a it a reversible drawing/decorating tool. For throwing and handbuilding. 

Edited by Rae Reich

Two bamboo chopsticks: one is squared with a flat top and a long-ish very pointed tip; the other is rounded with a rounded top and short-ish blunted rounded tip. I can play slap & tickle and get  at least 12 different basic initial imprints,  carvings, and holes  with these two sticks.  I also have larger similar shapes made from regular wood sticks, used "as is" or altered to get the rounded/pointy etc. features/unctions.

• Pres unpinned this topic