How to re-tighten the bolts on Shimpo RK-55

Hi Linchimb,

Aye:

"Remove splash pan and loosen all 4 bolts under the wheel head. Caution, Please be careful not to loosen too much. Loosen bolts. Do not remove completely. Spring inside the main body automatically adjusts tension of the belt."

I'm not finding any diagrams depicting the auto tensioner/belt/pulley details...
Ah! Try searching "shimpo rk 55 belt replacement" - I'm seeing three images depicting the underside, with cover removed.

Here's a snip of one of the images I found:

1383428310_autotensioner.JPG.f247bd2accac1cec66c39a4e252a01ce.JPG

Looks like the bearings, shaft, bearing holder casting, pulley, retention plate assembly is designed to move/slide - the spring provides the desired tension, eh?

You might try removing the cover, lining it up, starting the bolts, and voila. That retention plate may have fell, now hanging by the spring and perhaps against the pully.

Be careful re-attaching the wheel head; looks like the bottom part of it is machined to be parallel with the working surface, hence it must ride flush on that large washer, which I assume sets on that bearing. No doubt you want the wheel head to run true, no wobble.

If you turn the machine upside down, look to avoid banging the shaft or the wheel head on the ground.

Good luck, please report back how it goes for you.

I'd use anti-sieze on the threads and the shaft/wheel head contact, grease between the big washer and bearing.

Edited by Hulk
appropriate products where metal to metal...

Great image! The good news, the flywheel is open so no need to remove, bad news the entire assembly is loose now. It’s got a plate with welded nuts and the whole assembly slides which likely means - careful - everything will fall through. Remove belt, likely loosen tensioner, reposition Flywheel and with your third hand hold nut plate and install bolts from top. Just kidding about the hand thing, looks a bit awkward, reinstalling may take another set of hands though or creativity to hold / prop stuff till bolts are started in the top. I think I would remove forward tensioner nut and washer completely leaving the stopper nut where it is. That way I could reinstall tensioner to its original tension without counting turns of the nut. That bearing assembly looks very sealed with no provision to lubricate, I am thinking the bearings are permanently lubricated and sealed.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, oldlady said:

linchimb,  your supplier gave you very bad advice when he suggested you needed to grease any part of that new wheel.   it should be his responsibility now,    why not contact him or shimpo?

Hi, Yes I contacted them again but they said they are getting minimal information from Shimpo. They could arrange to pick up my wheel and send to Potterycrafts who's the importer of shampoo wheels and ask them to take a look.......