QotW: Any plans to visit galleries and/or others' Studios?

Hi folks, 

A few days after @Hulk posted last weeks QotW, he posed another. This question is one that seems especially relevant this year with the Covid thing becoming more of a dead issue (hopefully:rolleyes:) and Spring coming on! Hulk stated:

Any plans to visit galleries and/or others' Studios?
...workshops, classes?  It's been a while for me; in the last two+ years, I've seen maybe ten displays of others' work, in person, and had an in-person pottery talk with maybe two or three actual potters.  The post on upcoming SH workshop got me thinking*! I'm planning to make time to look in on local shops, galleries, studios, and swing by the local JC Ceramic lab as well.

I am planning on reaching out to a few galleries, after vetting them to possibly handle some larger mixed pieces, I also hope to visit some out of state and out of country galleries this Summer. I believe I may also be giving a weekend workshop in a neighboring state. I think it is always great to get out and see potters, talk shop and get refreshed and excited about the Summer ahead. I have been helping with a Saturday adult thing in the HS I taught in for the last few weeks, and am doing some slab thrown constructions in that studio, great to get into doing more after the cold of frozen shop in January and Feb.

QotW: Any plans to visit galleries and/or others' Studios?

A special thanks goes out to Hulk for contributing to the community. . .makes my job easier!

best,

Pres

absolutely!  the fun of getting into someone's studio or gallery is seeing how things are set up for the kind of work done there.   i remember being in a studio in bethesda, md that was as big as a small classroom and held 3 rows of long tables.   that potter made huge tile installations and was working on something brand new (at the time).  she was portraying DNA which was her husband's field of expertise.  the finished work was placed on a wall in a public space near DC.  can't remember where but it was an entire wall with garden space in front of it.  beautiful!

i was fortunate enough to buy a small, square bottle that had peony leaves pressed into the sides.

there are 2 places near me in florida that i want to visit.  they are new since i was here last,   that was may of 2020.  

This is a bit different from the topic I think, but I'm planning to see the Majolica Mania exhibit at the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore sometime soon. I don't get out to museums or anywhere much anymore, so it will be nice to see a ceramics exhibit and be outside my house for a while. 

Lots of good news in my small rural state, currently very low death rates & low hospitalizations, which means high recovery rates. However, non-hospital levels of severity of infection are all over the place, from no biggie to quite severe and long-lasting. Yesterday there were over 300 new cases among our 10 counties.  The highest rates are in the far northern part of the state and the southern/eastern areas close to or bordering Maine & Massachusetts. It is these areas that have the most galleries and shows and many people participate in and visit shows/galleries in the cities of both Portland, Maine and Portsmouth, NH, as well as traveling to/from Boston.

So, for me, nope-not taking the risk.  I have friends and mentor-types showing now in the Portland Pottery Tour and hate to miss it, but even with vaccination protection I have too many risk factors. I want to visit my daughter in the Seattle area, who I have not seen now in literally years...so that is when/where I'll take my chances!  

Edited by LeeU

• Pres unpinned this topic