dunting

Mudfish

I have been using a white slip and have recently noticed some dunting going on, especially along edges of the surface of my wares. I use a white stoneware, and fire to cone 8 - 9 reduction.  My question is, are some glazes better over slips than others?  would a lower expansion glaze dunt more over slip? . Are there certain glazes that are more adaptable over slips with less issues?

Dunting is something that happens to a piece of pottery where the clay cracks all the way through, mostly because of heating and cooling stresses. Sometimes the stresses start when the piece is formed, sometimes it’s because you go through quartz inversion too quickly, especially if your clay has been fired multiple times and has formed a bunch of crystobalite. Usually that last one is an issue for lower fire clays.

If I understand you correctly, you’re using a white slip on a white stoneware. If you’re applying the slip to the piece while it’s on the dry side of leather hard, you could be re-wetting the clay, causing adsorption cracks that don’t show up until the piece is fired. If your work is too thin, or if your slip isn’t deflocculated (more water), this can exacerbate the problem. 

If you have an image of the dunting cracks, that will help us pinpoint what’s going on. The shape of the cracks will tell you a lot about how it happened.

Shivering.
Looks like it’s including the glaze and slip through to the claybody. Which claybody? Only with this glaze? Slip recipe or claybody used for the slip? Does the glaze shiver on the pots without slip?

Shivering is dangerous, slivers of glaze coming off rims could get into food/beverage. Also, shivering doesn’t always happen straightaway, I wouldn’t use or sell pots with this clay/slip/glaze combination even if they aren’t showing shivering now.. 

the glaze is a high clay content glaze.   

Amount
s_15058.5a6a6a099709c.jpg
s_15371.5a6a6b7de99b1.jpg
s_15135.5a6a6b56886ec.jpg
s_15169.5a6ba1e238ed4.jpg
Total base recipe 100.00
s_15442.5de7d4042bb64.jpg
s_15072.5a6a6a3c01481.jpg
 Bentonite  

slip formula:         I used EPK for the grolleg and OM4 for the sagger                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Amount
s_15268.5a6ba3df4232c.jpg
s_15460.5a6ba5eb0131a.jpg
s_16050.5edd51cde24b6.jpg
s_15442.5de7d4042bb64.jpg

yes, it only happened on pots with this slip/glaze combination

From your image it looks like the slip and some of the body has come off. Is this accurate? Slip on bisque ware needs to shrink less than slip applied to leatherhard clay. You want to get slips onto the pot as soon as possible when the pot is as damp as possible.  Engobes contain less plastic ingredients than slips. Calcining some of the clay will reduce the shrinkage of the slip/engobe to prevent the slip/engobe shelling off the pot. Adding some borax or frit helps it bond too. 

The terms slip and engobe have different interpretations so this can add some confusion.

To clarify.

You are joinIng pieces at leather hard stage with a slip?

You are applying slip to entire pot at Leatherhard stage?.

If first option, use a thIck slip thinned with vinegar when oth pieces just strong enough, or a deflocculated slip. If applying slip to entire body, spray entire piece with water then apply a deflocculated slip to lessen cracking.

Slip on bisque...another kettle of fish....

Archived