What is the ideal flooring for a studio (2nd Floor)?

I am putting together plans for the construction of a new studio space located on the 2nd floor.  The construction of the floor will be new construction (adding a 2nd floor). My kilns are in a separate room of their own on a concrete floor.  I will have a separate room for glazing (11 x 11) and the additional general studio space will be 392 sq foot (14 x 28).  I am trying to fantasize and then pairing it down from there.  I would like to be able to have a drain in the floor although that might be tricky as it would require some grading.  The grading could be done I suppose and the area around it could get tile?  But aside from that piece, what sort of flooring do you folks suggest is ideal. I do need a floor that is better on backs and a smooth floor that allows me to mop 1-2x weekly.  Was thinking a waterproof floating floor? Thoughts?

Marc

I like wood for a floor to at least as an underlayment. My throwing room (new in 2002?) is 8x14 is 3/4 T&G plywood on 16 inch center joists . Glued and screwed. Painted with specail floor paint. Its held up great and can be mopped. Only is high traffic areas is the paint worn and can be recoated when I'm dead. The rest of stir is 2x14 old growth redwood lumber and is even softer on feet . If I had done it differently back in 1973 I would have put plywood down instead but back then this redwood was the cheapest . (They where cutting it down all around here back then).It was the cheapest wood in the 70s here (only locally where its was cut and milled). Our house is framed in redwood from the 40-50s full demesion 2x4 2x6 back then-redwood siding as well.

Cement is killer hard on feet and back .

I use the top of the line foot matts (soft large pads called REJUVENATOR® MATS from Uline) in my glaze area where I'm standing alot-they wash up well as well and are pretty light.They are spendy.. Now you can buy waterproof vinyl pack flooring that lays on a foam base atheist great on body. Its a newer product and can be laid on plywood or other underlayment. The deal is water can get in the groves and thats not good as clay will also. Sheet goods in 12 foot with are pretty common and mop well. Again if the floor is wood under than its softer on body no matter what the top surface is. If I had a cement studio floor after my 50 years now in studio I would be way more wreaked than I am. I have friends who work on cement floors-its kills them no matter what kind of shoes they wear.Its great for hosing down but you can have it as far as my feet and body are concerned . Wood all the way to better body health .

Anything that’s easy to mop and will withstand water for the floor. I have cement, but I place easily cleaned cushioning mats at workstations. 

I don’t know about the plumbing code in Vermont, but is a floor drain for solidsfeasible on a second floor? Would there be sediment issues, or a sump needed at some point in the construction?

If you’re thinking all the fancy things, how about some kind of lift to get materials to that second floor? When I’ve spitballed studio ideas with others, the idea of adding a story to a garage has come up, but how to get supplies upstairs has been a sticking point.

I took over a small bedroom in the basement for my making studio.  We pulled up the carpet and laid a room sized piece of luxury vinyl.  It's cushiony.  Easy to clean.  For that space, it was the perfect flooring solution.   My kiln is in the shop with concrete floors so I invested in the foam mats.  I do a lot of walking when glazing, loading, firing.  The mats were a great investment. They save wear and tear on knees and hips.   I mop them in the winter and take them outside in the summer to hose them off.  

just today i picked up some carpet padding from a carpet store nearby.  there was a large roll outside near the dumpster and i took a piece big enough to put 3 layers undet the yoga mats i have here.   they go in front of the slab roller/work surface and will be so comfortable when i finish them.  total cost? $0.

just found the mat that i got in the early 2000s from Lowes. they still have it.    it is called Guardian and the description says if is 3x12 feet and costs $124.07, it says it is only 3/8 inch thick but the best part is that the top surface is ribbed and can be cleaned with a mop.     if it goes on top of carpet pad, it is very soft on the feet.   look it up, the # is 1866166  model MLL24031202.  the color is now black, not gray.

anyone want to go halves?

Some really great feedback on the flooring options, including the Guardian! (offgas?)!!  Thanks everyone!  I stopped by the flooring store today and you guessed it....Luxury Vinyl from Mannington was what we came up with. Wow! Vinyl be coming a long way!  Fake wood...awesome. 

Not sure how we would go with a second floor drain?  It would need a double flange of some sort. Sediment issues?  Maybe it could run to a slop sink on the first floor??? Just thought of that one.  Plumbing code in Vermont...in the country? Ha!  

Callie...search no more! Introducing the WoodWaiter!  https://wbfowler.com/woodwaiter-firewood-lift-2/. Seriously thinking about this one because going up and down those stairs is going to get old while I grow old. I have to check it out some more to see how solid and smooth it is (or not).

And yes, cement is touch on backs...not for me...That's partly why this studio will be upstairs.  

Thanks everybody!

Marc

On 2/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, VermontPotter said:

WoodWaiter

NIIIIICE! Good call. I have stairs I have to pack things down, and I can confirm it does get old quickly. 

The only thing with the floor drains I hear people talking about is the inevitable cleaning of the clay trap or the sump. I’ve been around for both jobs, and it’s really, really unpleasant. However you want to set that up, keep cleanup and any potential blockages in mind. 

On 2/24/2022 at 9:33 AM, Leaman Pottery said:

I have tile on concrete in my studio and it is really hard on my feet and hip joints to work on all day. I'm in the 60-something demographic. If I were able to choose (studio space came tiled) I would use a smooth wood laminate installed on the foam underlayment. I'm sure my feet and legs would thank me. 

Being in that same demographic, even if I had the choice (which I don't), I'd just get ergonomic mats to stand on wherever I have to stand. Cement and tile are just soooo much easier to clean.  Also heavy equipment significantly deflects laminate. 

For now my "studio" will be split between the "laundry room" (where I will place the wheel, because it has HVAC) and the garage (where there is a utility tub and where the kiln will sit), pending me getting the 3" thick slab poured directly on the ground with no reinforcement in the backyard smashed to bits small enough for me to pick up and cart away so I can install a proper slab for an actual studio.  I figure breaking it up and hauling the bits away is likely to take a whole year if not longer LOL.

Or maybe the laundry/garage combo will be permanent.  I really didn't want a kiln in the garage but ... gettin' old, and inside house stuff has cost a lot more than we thought it would.  Not ignoring the fact that inertia is a powerful force.  It's not like I own a car, or a dryer, or ever intend to (and my washer is a portable Magic Chef that I'd like to put in the space currently occupied by the dishwasher I never use and that constantly grows biofilm in the bottom anyway).

Archived