Hardie backer board

I'm thinking about buying some hardie backer board and have a couple questions I hope someone can answer before I do that.  First of all, can you really score and snap it?  It comes in 1/4" and 1/2" and it's hard to imagine the 1/2" would snap, but I've never used the stuff so who knows?   Also, does it warp with use?  If so, would I be better off with the 1/2" ?     I plan to use it for wedging and also for reclaiming  (or as I like to say, reclayming).  Sorry, couldn't help myself there.   All suggestions

gratefully accepted.  Thanks!

Irene

in cold and, for the moment, sunny NJ

Hi Irene!

I have several pieces of the 1/4" that I use for wedging clay - one each for dark, red, buff, and white clays - leftover from tile projects around the house. I'm just setting the board on the workbench, the end up against a scrap piece of wood tacked to the wall. It wipes off easily, and then can be stored out o' the way as well.

We scored both sides with a razor knife, then snapped it over a straight edge for a fairly clean cut; I haven't used the heavier board.

For reclaim, I'm using two inch thick slabs of pottery plaster (cast in a cake pan), which will absorb a lot of water; propped up on 1x1" sticks, five sides are exposed to air for evaporation, which helps a bit as well... 

10 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hi Irene!

I have several pieces of the 1/4" that I use for wedging clay - one each for dark, red, buff, and white clays - leftover from tile projects around the house. I'm just setting the board on the workbench, the end up against a scrap piece of wood tacked to the wall. It wipes off easily, and then can be stored out o' the way as well.

We scored both sides with a razor knife, then snapped it over a straight edge for a fairly clean cut; I haven't used the heavier board.

For reclaim, I'm using two inch thick slabs of pottery plaster (cast in a cake pan), which will absorb a lot of water; propped up on 1x1" sticks, five sides are exposed to air for evaporation, which helps a bit as well... 

That's just what I was hoping to hear Hulk.  I'll definitely get the lighter and cheaper 1/4" then,  one for each of the 3 clays I use.   Thank you!

I've been reclayming on a plaster slab as well, which is in a lidded bin that I use as a damp box also.  But I can see having 5 exposed sides would be even better.  Does pottery plaster in bags have a use by date?  When I used mine again I couldn't get it to set, tho I tried several times.    I thought I had read somewhere that it doesn't age well in the bag.  Is that true?   I had the bag in plastic as well.   Do I just need to get a fresh bag?

• 5 months later...

I love the stuff. I use 1/4” for ware boards. 1/2” is what covers my wedging table and works great for dewatering slop. Every bit as well as plaster. I did sand the surface of the 1/4” board, it’s kind of pebbly. Also, the 1/4” board gets saturated pretty fast, 1/2” is better for reclaim. 

@Kelly in AK how does this preform for ware boards wrt drying? is it like drying things on a plaster bat? I've been running into drying problems with plates on bats made of plastic and masonite - plastic keeps the base wet and i get cracks when the lip drys faster than the foot, masonite warps and I get a wobble. If this acts like plaster, seems like it could be a really nice solution! 

It pulls water out of the clay just like plaster and doesn’t warp. I haven’t made bats out of it, so I can’t say much about that, but for ware boards it’s my favorite. The bottoms of pots dry more evenly in relation to the rims. As a work surface I wet it with a sponge to keep things from drying out too fast. 

I too would like to know if anyone has used this stuff for bats and what their experience was.

tiny question.  kristinanoel, you mentioned masonite bats.  are you talking about 1/4 inch thick Duron  bats or actual masonite  about 1/8 inch thick and with the bumpy back?    the bats sold in the supplier's stores that i visit use Duron, a double sided smooth surface that is 1/4 inch thick. 

i never wire anything off my Duron bats, the pieces pop off when they are dry enough, usually overnight.  i throw as dry as possible, never leaving dampness inside any pot.  they pop off because i have trimmed the outside of the foot ring while the pot is still on the wheel.  no raggedy edges sticking down all around the pot.  

Isn't backerboard a bit rough for throwing?

I've used plastic, homemade particle board, and homemade plaster bats; all have smooth surfaces*.
Although I've managed to learn to keep my fingernails away from both the clay and the surface of the bat, my throwing requires some finger/skin contact, smooth is better imo.

I like cement board and use it in the studio, per above, however, too rough for me for throwing. Try sticking a square of it down with a clay pad, only take a few minutes - watch out for the corners, go.
My guess is you'll like it if you don't touch the bat much while you're working, then knock the corners off, done. If you don't like it, didn't cost much - look for a scrap to test with. I wouldn't try for bat pin holes, instead, a clay pad.
Since I use bat pins, I just throw a clay pad on a plastic bat (does no one do this?) for unholy bats      :|

*The plastic seem to stay slick, however, they can get narfed up with metal tools, rough on skin. Some types of plastic bats I like ok, some not.
My particle board bats, some are 1/2" thick, some 3/4" thick, stained with oil base stain, then varnished. They work great.
I use the molded side of the plaster bats, which is smoother. They work great, different right next to the bat though, that clay is drying.

Edited by Hulk
oops

• 2 weeks later...

I use Hardiback on all my clay tabletops - for wedging, handbuilding, rolling coils, glazing, whatever.  I love it. It cleans up really well though it doesn't look like it would - I've spilled jars of glaze and underglaze on it and it just needs a good scrub (but really, that was dumb and I lay some plastic first now.) I keep big spare pieces around for extremely different clays just in case -  I've got one for porcelain and one for real dark clays. I just stack 'em - handy.