Glaze foaming? Clay like glaze?

Denise_1997

On 1/20/2022 at 4:21 AM, Babs said:

Have you an image? Can't vjsualise what you are describing

I came across it on Instagram and I am having a hard time finding it. It looked like play dough. If I’m correct the artist fires it and it expands. It then looks puffy…almost like lava glaze like 5x bigger. Maybe he/she mixes glaze with clay???is that a thing?

18 hours ago, PeterH said:

I'm also having difficulty imagining this.

Presumably  you are talking about before firing. What happens during and after firing?

PS You mention a  clay-like consistency. Are you referring to a self-glazing body?

Egyptian Paste https://tinyurl.com/y375y7sc
EgyptianPaste.jpg.f944e01411490193de76c5a9b3f9a1fa.jpg

I believe that inlay techniques are possible.

I came across it on Instagram and I am having a hard time finding it. It looked like play dough. If I’m correct the artist fires it and it expands. It then looks puffy…almost like lava glaze like 5x bigger. Maybe he/she mixes glaze with clay???is that a thing?

Ok, for those who are blessed to be without a hefty social media addiction, here’s a link to a collaborative show between Steven Creech and Cory Brown, the artists mentioned. https://www.stephencreech.com/_files/ugd/09eece_0638c8d0f9c04cbab56336515ed46d98.pdf

That said, you may have seen some buzzfeed videos or other of Cory Brown strumming a ceramic piece consisting of glaze that has been made to drip through a colourful clay framework. It sounds quite lovely.

Poking around a little on the websites and social media, and having seen Cory Brown in a few places, these guys are definitely playing in the chemistry advanced class, and coming out with some VERY cool stuff!

I’d venture their “Nerifoamy”  has some relation to something that might involve silicone carbide, so the lava glazes may have been a starting point. But that’s definitely not the area I’m working in, so.

Both artists are testing the crossovers between clay and glaze, and then working some of it into glass territory. They both state in their IG bios that they work at Amaco. 

2 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Ok, for those who are blessed to be without a hefty social media addiction, here’s a link to a collaborative show between Steven Creech and Cory Brown, the artists 

Poking around a little on the websites and social media, and having seen Cory Brown in a few places, these guys are definitely playing in the chemistry advanced class, and coming out with some VERY cool stuff!

I’d venture their “Nerifoamy”  has some relation to something that might involve silicone carbide, so the lava glazes may have been a starting point. But that’s definitely not the area I’m working in, 

Crazy fun .

One of those guys says no silicon carbide, but  they are guarding stuff here.

The zapping  from inside the kiln just didnt look like home studio stuff.

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Can we assume that they don't share such recipes? (Judgement-free question.)

If so, it seems to be a dead-end for the OP --  unless they want to start on a fairly major research project.

PS A hybrid of clay foam ceramics and lava glazes perhaps? (But Min has just said no SiC.)

Info in clay foam ceramics seems a bit thin on the ground, but I found this (first-page only).
image.png.dcd0c9a712c017657f5ac4f6e0c99aea.png

Full paper behind firewall, single copy purchase 39 euro!

Babs:

At a glance: Carbides (SIC) are in play: inorganic carbides cause bloating and blistering in clay: and blistering (not pinholes) in glaze. Alumina levels is what gives clay its refractory properties, and glaze its durability. A low alumina clay ( under 15%)will become a molten blob at cone 04. Ball clay and kaolin run 24 to 37% alumina: while hectorite has only 2-3% Several clays run under 15%. If I were to make an educated guess: 30-40% glaze (sodium based for fluidity), 60-70% low alumina clay, and 4-5% SIC. Like any lava or intentional glaze run: have to dial in total fluxes vs heatwork. Suspect a few shelves went into the trash dialing this in. By the way: molybdenum sulfide will also cause that lava effect. 

The image below is low alumina fire clays fired to cone 6- they are beginning to bubble due to pyroplastic flow. If they were mixed with 50% glaze: they would flow. 

Tom

IMG_0253.JPG

Came across a lot of info about ceramic foams, so went down that rabbit hole. One article talks about the use of sodium metasilicate pentahydrate as a foaming agent for ceramic foams and the reason this is advantageous  over other methods of producing ceramic foams. Although it might not be at all what the pots in question used it does seem like a viable method to pursue if looking for a foaming ceramic material. Snippet of the article linked below, artilcle goes on to discuss volume, density, porosity etc.

"Sodium silicate pentahydrate (Na2SiO3·5H2O) was used as a foaming agent, and sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and calcium oxide (CaO) were used as fluxing agents. All materials were purchased from Winkler (Santiago, Chile) with exception of the calcium oxide that was purchased from Dideval (Santiago, Chile). Distilled water was used for all of the experiments in this work.

2.3. Process of Elaboration of Ceramic Foams

Powder quartz was first mechanically blended with solid fluxing agents (Na2CO3 and CaO) for 5 min. Then an aqueous solution of the foaming agent Na2SiO3·5H2O (200 g/L) was added slowly to the solid blend under continuous stirring for 15 min. The wet mixture was poured into a steel mold (4 cm × 4 cm × 7 cm) and pressed for 3 min. This compacted mixture (no melting pot) was sintered and foamed at a determined temperature with a sintering rate of 8.33 °C/min, and then cooled. The cooling rate from the foaming temperature to 600 °C was 5.55 °C/min. From 600 °C, the foams were cooled at room temperature. To determine the minimum time, temperature, and pressing pressure, at which porosity and a symmetric expansion of the foamed materials are produced, these factors were varied according to Table 2."

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/13/8/1806/htm

@MinJust a FYI that Na2SiO3.5H2O seems to be readily available (£16/kg in the UK). It goes under a variety of names: Sodium Metasilicate pentahydrate,  Silicic acid disodium salt pentahydrate, Disodium silicate pentahydrate, Sodium silicate hydrate, Disodium trioxosilicate.

https://mistralni.co.uk/products/sodium-metasilicate-pentahydrateSodium Metasilicate

21 hours ago, PeterH said:

Can we assume that they don't share such recipes? (Judgement-free question.)

If so, it seems to be a dead-end for the OP --  unless they want to start on a fairly major research project

This. It looks like there’s a LOT of research and development in this method of working, and it’s unlikely they’ll hand it out for free. Not that I think they should. 

On a side note, There were a few pieces in the exhibition that had 3d printed elements. I wonder if some of the polymers involved in that could have been involved in the effect. There’s a before and after kiln shot that shows the foamed material inside the structure, and it looked like it had been possibly extruded. Could maybe relate to the pressure referenced in that article Min posted.

Whatever’s going on there, it’s extremely cool!

On 1/23/2022 at 3:56 AM, Kakes said:

Nice! This looks like what I'm looking for. I'll experiment with underglaze under a clear glaze. Thank you.

5 hours ago, glazenerd said:

Babs:

At a glance: Carbides (SIC) are in play: inorganic carbides cause bloating and blistering in clay: and blistering (not pinholes) in glaze. Alumina levels is what gives clay its refractory properties, and glaze its durability. A low alumina clay ( under 15%)will become a molten blob at cone 04. Ball clay and kaolin run 24 to 37% alumina: while hectorite has only 2-3% Several clays run under 15%. If I were to make an educated guess: 30-40% glaze (sodium based for fluidity), 60-70% low alumina clay, and 4-5% SIC. Like any lava or intentional glaze run: have to dial in total fluxes vs heatwork. Suspect a few shelves went into the trash dialing this in. By the way: molybdenum sulfide will also cause that lava effect. 

The image below is low alumina fire clays fired to cone 6- they are beginning to bubble due to pyroplastic flow. If they were mixed with 50% glaze: they would flow. 

Tom

IMG_0253.JPG

I was going on a comment I read by the Cory guy on one of his Instagram posts . Guess he may have been hedging but Min's research shows this may be so.

Pretty violent foaming going on.

5 hours ago, PeterH said:

@Min's paper gives a firing temperature of 850−870 °C for the silicate process, so would the kiln shelf paper they use for glass slumping be usable to minimise over-melt kiln damage?

You could but I could see a lot of messed up shelves while trying to figure this out and shelf paper might not cut it after a couple firings as I believe you would be firing to it’s  upper limits.  I think I would use large waster cookies with a lip all the around then kiln wash the heck out of it. Junker shelves just for firing the experiments on too.

4 hours ago, Min said:

You could but I could see a lot of messed up shelves while trying to figure this out and shelf paper might not cut it after a couple firings as I believe you would be firing to it’s  upper limits.  I think I would use large waster cookies with a lip all the around then kiln wash the heck out of it. Junker shelves just for firing the experiments on too.

I know he uses sand to prevent the claze from sticking to the floor

Archived