clay pieces stuck to bottom of pots after firing

whatever it is, actual clay,(unlikely) or kiln wash, rubbing one bottom against another would probably work.   kiln wash is normally white and flakey.   the bottoms of pots are abrasive enough against each other to make the whole bottom smooth.

if you do not already own one, buying a white stone abrasive from your pottery supplier is a great investment.   the bottoms of pots can damage a fine surface just as though you rubbed the surface with sandpaper.   always clean off the bottom of everything you make.   you do not want to scratch a beautiful wood table top.

Thank you all for your kind replies. Reading the above, I assume it is kiln wash as it is white and flaky but I also have some other glazing which seems to have transferred over. Is there something one can put between the different layers of ceramic pots? Mine are all porcelain and are being fired at cone 5 with stoneware until I buy my own kiln. Thank you for the suggestion to buy a white stone abrasive @oldlady.

Without knowing more about the brand of clay you’re using, your experience level or the state the shelves of the kiln you’re using are kept in, there’s a few possibilities that could be happening. 

Some porcelains will do something called plucking, which means the clay body is maturing at the temperature you’re firing at, and is melting slightly.  This makes the pot stick to the shelf, or the kiln wash if that’s what’s being used.  If this is what’s happening, try adding some alumina to the wax you’re applying to the feet of your pots. 

If you haven’t thoroughly cleaned off the bottom of your pots after they’ve been glazed, the residual glaze can stick to the kiln wash on the shelf. If this is what’s happening, just give them an extra wipe with some clean water. If you’re in a group studio, also make sure that the ware board you’re putting the finished pieces on is also clean so it’s not picking up anything it shouldn’t.

Finally, again assuming you’re in a group studio situation, if the the kiln shelves aren’t kept in good repair, there might be residual glaze on the shelves that are re-melting and sticking to your pot. If this is the case and you’re not the one in charge of maintaining shelves, it’ll depend on your studio policies on how to proceed. 

Transferring over??

Some colourants do affect pots sitting nearby during firing. Is that what you are referring to?

No cure for that in a community kiln unfortunately.

The ingredients in the glaze will make some pots susceptible to this happening.

Some glazes may spit off pots onto others. That is fixable...

Archived