Just out of high school

Hi, my name is Jack.

I'm out of high school and enrolled in UNT (University of North Texas) and I'm scared. I'm in 3 weeks and I know it's quick to say anything, but I just don't feel right. I'm majoring in studio art and minoring in graphic design, but I just can't figure out if this is right for me, or if there's a ceramic certification course elsewhere that is more fitting than me learning and wasting seemingly time on things that just feel so useless and crammed in my head. Does anyone have any thoughts of what should i do or am I just overthinking it?

Jack, Welcome to the forum.

I would say that at this point, it is just too early to know, give it a semester and see what happens. When I say give it a semester, I mean put your heart and head into everything you do. This of course is IMHO, but I spent many years in education teaching at HS, summer camps and College levels. First semesters are rough in a lot of ways.

best,

Pres

Good question Jack!
Someday you'll have an answer, however, likely that answer will evolve some as your life unfolds.

Opportunity to meet people and consider ideas that you otherwise might not?
A mentor and friend, years ago, pointed out that my dog "...figures out where it's at, then goes for it..." as my friend's dog always fell for the fake throw o' th' ball.

I'm still figuring out "where it's at" - have had some good ideas over the years though...

is there a counselor available to you?   i know nothing about college but assume that you are not the only student to find yourself questioning your next step.    there must be someone who you can talk to about these feelings.    asking  for help is hard but necessary sometimes.

All knowledge is good and will help you with your art, so even those non-art classes will be a benefit in the long run. I started college as a math major and ended up with an art degree with an emphasis in ceramics and photography. I use my math skills all the time, both in my ceramics work and in running my business. The sociology and psychology classes I took help me in dealing with customers and students. The science classes help with the technical aspects of clay and glaze development. Art is a reflection of life, so the more you know the better your work will be. It can definitely be a bit of a drag at times having to take non-art classes, but they will make you a more well-rounded person. Plus you'll have some skills that can help you earn money as you're getting started in your art career, or if things get tough (like during a pandemic). So give it a chance before you make any big decisions. It may also be that your school just isn't a good fit for you. But it takes more than 3 weeks to figure that out. Finish out the semester and reflect on it before making any changes.

If it’s any consolation, it’s not unusual to have a complete freak out at some point in the first month of a post secondary program. It’s a HUGE life change even without a pandemic. Do everything you can in the way of self care, and look after your mental health. Art programs can be very emotionally taxing. They ask you to question every thought that’s ever crossed your mind, and that’s difficult. Some programs (I have no idea about any in Texas) also encourage an unsustainable work ethic, and it’s important to set boundaries for yourself. Drop a class if you’ve got one too many, and clear yourself some space.

If you determine your fear about the suitability of your program is more than a response to a boatload of overwhelm, what part of the course is making you feel like it’s not providing what you’re after? What direction are you wanting to go in? 

Archived