QotW: What things do you do that would be Old School, and what do you do that would be considered Embracing the Future?

Hi folks, no new suggestions for a new QotW topic in the pool or elsewhere. So I will pose another question once again.

Lately, I have been thinking about the direction the new kiln is taking me, and what that means. I also have realized that maybe my age is showing because I still like to do some things in old ways. 

As far as the new kiln goes, the process of calibrating the thermocouples is pretty much completed. Only the next glaze firing will tell. I find the ease of firing with the Genesis controller mixed, as even though I do not worry over the setting for a firing,  I do have a tendency to double check color against the firing graph. I guess the kiln controller if my step into the future.

Things that I do that are old school will include the use of a triple beam balance to weigh out glaze chemicals, wedging clay, and reclaiming scraps. Setting the weights on the triple beam balance makes me think about what I am doing. . . kind of a second check, as is marking the chemicals with grease pencil on my plastic sleeved recipe charts. Keeps me focused.  Wedging, actually helps my back believe it or not. The pushing down while rotating the clay and body eases back strain for me, and is one other reason I reclaim scraps.

QotW: What things do you do that would be Old School, and what do you do that would be considered Embracing the Future?

best,

Pres

I rarely use my triple bean over the newer digital scale-it weights more and is 10 times faster to make a `10,000 gram batch

I still fire old school gas kilns with only two cones in lower spy plug.New school is the oxy probes and digital pryros also is the older meter on kiln which works without a battery for rough temps. 

I gave up wet mop for central vac system in studio. It burns up a motor every two years but is worth it.

I still throw with very few tools-sponge and a stick.

Old school is my plaster bats for all things 8#s or less

old school is I use the material bags they came in-unless it smaller colorants

Old school I clean wheel every year not every day- less water use and better use of time

old school phone in studio covered with clay from western electric -bullet proof

old school banana bexes for transporting wares to and from shows, 70+ fit in van-easy to recycle at a show or to get more.

Edited by Mark C.

I guess where on the continuum you are looking at things from makes it old or new school? New school isn't really new any more for kiln controllers but they have gotten more bells and whistles since the first ones came out. I'm new school there I guess, I love my Genesis controller. Glaze calculation software, is that new school, I'm not sure but it beats the old pencil and paper way of doing calculations. Silicone ribs, maybe those are new school? Clay in boxes, new school? Can't imagine processing my clay from the ground like in the old Isac Button videos. Combination mixer pugger, yup, I'll tick that box too, relatively new school there for studio potters. Electric drill with a mixer attachment vs the old wooden stick to mix up glazes. Using the internet to connect with other potters, is that new school? Reading books, old school I guess but nothing better. Paper and pencil note taking just in case my computer crashes and I loose all my notes because I'm bad at backing things up and not everything is stored in the cloud, old school. I guess I try and take the best from both ends of the spectrum.

Edited by Min

Extruded handles for 40 years now-two  wall mount extruders.

power jiffy mixers  with thre size heads on three drills -power slab roller-LEd lights-lots of them-studio air filtration system past 25 years-hot tea kettle for hot throwing water-two tub setting system outside for clay sink. 

I embrace anything that saves time and energy. 

I love my manuel electricl kiln with old school fire right ramp up. No relays no issues for an occasional bisque fire. I do not glaze fire in an electric.I do 99% of bisquing in gas kiln

always embraced any thing that saves time.

all kiln shelves for gas kilns are advancers 

I have a spare pile of them as well now bought used at good price.

Bit of a ceramic hoarder for sure

• Pres unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 10:19 PM, Pres said:

Oh yeah, I use a hand held power extruder for handles and other small pieces. Have used glaze calc software for years, as I really hated doing the paper work in college. Also have a recipe spread sheet to automatically figure batch weights. 

best,

Pres

Hi Pres, What hand held power extruder do you use? Thank you so much!