Big fall show in my area switches to virtual-only again

:-(

It’s not a show I was in this year, but this is bad news for everyone. Our area is not even that bad in terms of pandemic danger right now, so I don’t know why they decided to cancel the in-person event. There are no capacity limits on events right now, just mask mandates in some places. 

Right after this news broke, two other shows that I am doing announced, “WE ARE NOT CANCELLING.”  One of them asked me to confirm that I am fully vaccinated (looks like they will require proof of vaccination for all), and the other said they are working on the guidelines but we should expect to be masked the whole time at least. 

@GEP  It appears that most of the shows in Colorado are still a go.  Very few that I have seen are requiring any restrictions, other than maybe spacing vendors out a bit more.   Do you suppose that the canceled show was concerned about liability?   That will be my concern for this year as an organizer.  We have a signed form stating that vendors will not hold us responsible for death, destruction, mayhem, but perhaps we should add Covid?

All I can imagine is that the venue where this show takes place shut down the show, rather than the organizers. But I can't imagine why, it really doesn't make sense. I'm just hoping that event planners and venues don't have more negative forecasts about the pandemic than what the public is being told. 

1 hour ago, Roberta12 said:

@GEP  It appears that most of the shows in Colorado are still a go.  Very few that I have seen are requiring any restrictions, other than maybe spacing vendors out a bit more.   Do you suppose that the canceled show was concerned about liability?   That will be my concern for this year as an organizer.  We have a signed form stating that vendors will not hold us responsible for death, destruction, mayhem, but perhaps we should add Covid?

Yes add add  covid if you already are having that form signed..

I'm on a board who on 8/15 voted no for our local large outdoor art fair (really its more than just that as well its a large annual community event) which was scheleded on 3rd weekend in September . All our events are being canceled county wide-it started about 2 weeks ago and they all canncelled except the county fair (bad idea) . Our county is in bad shape with covid right now with 55% vacinated and the rest are mostly young folks and they are in THE  hospital in large numbers now.

We as board planned to hold off on a yes or no vote until August 15th as set that up in April . The vote was unanimous. We have no way to control entrance entry exit or make sure they all are vaccinated.Its a hit for the economics of the community but also a safer overall situtaion for the community.. We have always had a huge amout  of antivaxers for many decades around here (not about politics) Just a large group. That means we knew we would be in trouble sooner or later.

Sorry to hear the cancellation-I feel its going to be a wave of them. If can get  your wares out in front of the public that are in a buying frenzy now still.

I just got confirmation for the last Christmas show I applied to. They’re giving out acceptance letters in 2 waves. If you’re in the first acceptance wave, you will be one of the vendors even if they have to reintroduce more social distancing measures due to another covid wave. If you’re in the second wave, you may be cut (with fees fully refunded) should they need to reduce attendance numbers or vendor density. I was in the first wave, so yay, sorta? I haven’t decided how I feel about it yet.

The other 2 shows (I’d be working in-person for 4 weeks total) are all or nothing situations. They’re either going ahead or not, depending on health restrictions at the time. Again, full refunds in the event the pandemic shuts us down. If I pull out beforehand, the refund is pro-rated. There’s a lot of vendors that are really holding off applying to these shows that would normally have waiting lists by now.

We’re climbing into a 4th wave in my area too, so I feel like there’s a lot that will happen between now and November.  In addition to planning out production lists, we need to keep in mind marketing efforts if the show organizers won’t be able to promote for us. 

Sorry to hear that @GEP I know that a lot of the shows that cancelled around here have done so simply because of the uncertainty. The application and jury time is so far in advance of the actual show that they risk spending a lot of money getting ready for the show only to have the pandemic get worse and have to cancel at the last minute due to restrictions imposed by the city or county or state government. For many show organizers it's easier to lose the income by not doing a show at all than to gamble on the costs.

As a board member who is on the other side of a non profit show . We decided we could work towards doing the show this year (last year was cancelled with near zero costs-a small one to the director who had some works to do) We put off most of any major costs until be decided on Auguats 15th (show was 3rd weekend in Sept) It still cost us some $$$ but our balance sheet is still very solid . It did cost us more director and helper costs as we did the mailer /emailer and jusried the show and paid an artist for the poster. Never went to print. These false starts are costly and we can only afford one  more without more funding. An outright no show is the cheapest option but was not in the cards this year.Wecare in it for the community and it was a heart breaker  to cancel -but it was the best option at this time  juncture .

All four shows that I have on my schedule for the fall were juried during the April-July timeframe, when the vaccination efforts were going strong and covid metrics were dropping like a rock. It made sense to go ahead during that window. But then the Delta variant came along. All four shows have promised to return booth fees if there’s a cancellation.  But yeah, I’m sure that will be costly for them, especially two years in row. One of them would switch to virtual, so not a complete refund, but that’s ok their virtual show last year was good. In fact, their show is a hybrid in-person/online show, we all need to be ready to take online orders during the show, so it will be easy to convert to virtual only if needed. That looks like very savvy planning on their part now. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2021 at 8:59 AM, GEP said:

One of them asked me to confirm that I am fully vaccinated (looks like they will require proof of vaccination for all), and the other said they are working on the guidelines but we should expect to be masked the whole time at least. 

This really surprises me ... "proof of vaccination".  I know a trip to Hawaii, all the forms and such, make me inclined to not fly again soon.

All the shows around Mississippi and most in the South East seem to be on schedule.   I only do do shows twice a year, Canton Flea Market, which is Thursday.   I'm not going this year due to my inventory situation ... just don't have enough product.     One employee down now and I just don't want to rehire.   Guess I'm probably done with that show even though I always did extremely well there.

8 hours ago, DirtRoads said:

"proof of vaccination". 

My next two shows are indoors. One is doing timed entrance tickets and requiring masks. The other is requiring masks and proof of vaccination. It turns out the “proof of vaccination” is to show our vaccination card, and a photo or photocopy is good enough. Not hard, and probably easy to fake but I don’t think the demographic that attends craft shows overlaps with the demographic that is faking vaccine cards. I bought some KF94 masks for myself. I’ve been wearing cloth masks at outdoor shows but I wanted something better for the indoor ones. Just hoping the masks I bought aren’t counterfeit. Ugh, the times we live in!

I did a NV show a few weeks ago and wore cloth mask all day about 10-15% of the public was masked at that show. Even though masks are mandated in crowds.

My August show in Wa state I also wore a cloth mask and 75-80% of crowd was masked-a far different crowd mentality

In most of Ca masks are the norm -in the Valley and other areas of what I call freedom areas most are not masked even inside-areas like Redding Ca or Barstow

I got tested after  5 days after each show and all is well

In both show I put out a new table that sepeeartes me fron my customers-they place the pots on that table I'm at a table behind that table to reach out and wrap them.

Its a solid working separation system and I'll use it at any future shows which for me are only a few 

Open Studio Art Tour last weekend and next in SLO County.

Every single visitor was masked by the time they got within twenty feet of the rollup door - many appeared to be ready to match the situation, and masked when they saw others in the Studio were masked, else saw me masked or masking up.

I like your separator table idea Mark, thank you for sharin't.

3 hours ago, Mark C. said:

got tested after  5 days after each show and all is well

In both show I put out a new table that sepeeartes me fron my customers-they place the pots on that table I'm at a table behind that table to reach out and wrap them.

Its a solid working separation system and I'll use it at any future shows which for me are only a few 

Great idea Mark, about being tested after the show and the separation table. I have been rethinking my booth set up.  I have a show the 7th of November, 10x10 space.  I will have room to reconfigure my setup.  It is in a large space, high ceilings, but not many will be masked.  Just me probably.  Trying to find a booster before then. 

This was my setup two weekends ago-booth is 10x15 with storage in rear. My van stayed parked in this spot whole show-Its under a huge shade tree in grassy park.I have a box on top of van that keeps my pro panels for flat fish wall art but do not use them at this show(vis do not sell well in desert) also have a large space case on top that holds two 10x10 canopies that live year-round there. I do not use a canopy as noted here -as it to windy normally-no wind this last time

It was my last show here after 28-30 years of shows in this space mostly solo show-my wife did the show as well -her last show here with me was in middle 90s.

I shove this table out some during show so its out front more.Its about 2x3 an antique girls dressing table. I redid the finish last year for my outside xmas show where it was out front with 3 plexiglass sheilds around it.

Solid good  wood tables are hard to find these days -I have a few from the old days still. This one is light and has a small drawer which is handy

I do not use a canopy at this show and walk away from booth  Saturday at 5 pm just as you see it in this park as theft is unheard of in this small town as of yet.Been doing this walk away for over a decade now there. No where else do I do this.

The one we sit at is  also a taller height that matches this one with a larger drawer and I fit my cash register on top which I use at most shows-I invert the power to 120V with a battery jumper so the register works.

IMG_4306.jpeg

7 hours ago, GEP said:

The other is requiring masks and proof of vaccination. It turns out the “proof of vaccination” is to show our vaccination card, and a photo or photocopy is good enough. Not hard, and probably easy to fake but I don’t think the demographic that attends craft shows overlaps with the demographic that is faking vaccine cards.

I find this really surprising; your state leaving it up to event planners to decide what constitutes "proof of vaccination". 

I'm not saying things are working better here in BC but we have to show a QR code that is issued by the province on our phone (or a printed copy of it) when entering a non essential business, indoor sporting event or care home. Person at the door(s) for those places has a QR code reader that they scan our phone QR code with plus we need to show government id to verify we are the same person as what's on our QR code. All indoor spaces require masks for people 5 and older. We are at just over 70% of elegible people being fully vaccinated, for now thats 12 and older, soon to be 5 and older.

15 hours ago, Min said:

I find this really surprising; your state leaving it up to event planners to decide what constitutes "proof of vaccination". 

I'm not saying things are working better here in BC but we have to show a QR code that is issued by the province on our phone (or a printed copy of it) when entering a non essential business, indoor sporting event or care home. Person at the door(s) for those places has a QR code reader that they scan our phone QR code with plus we need to show government id to verify we are the same person as what's on our QR code. All indoor spaces require masks for people 5 and older. We are at just over 70% of elegible people being fully vaccinated, for now thats 12 and older, soon to be 5 and older.

I wish we could have a more accountable system like that. It’s been talked about, but there’s a lot of pushback and the idea gets dropped.  Sadly the will to do it isn’t here. Or a centralized health system. I’ll stop talking before I get political. 

Archived