Large stamp the bottom of a mug, possible?

I ordered a 3" stamp thinking I would be able to stamp the bottom of my mugs instead of my wife signing them by hand (she has drafting experience and her script is awesome).  She had been writing around the outer edge with our name and the store name, so I scanned an example of here writing for the stamp.

I can't seem to get the stamp to show up very well, even when I have just pulled the mug off the bat, it's like I need support inside the bottom to keep it from giving. Anyone have a solution for this?

I thought of making a bisque disc on a stick type thing, where I could put the mug down over and have some inside support...

I have used one last year, I did drill a hole in an old plywood bat that made a flush surface with just the image sticking up. I then placed the mug on this over the stamp, using a piece of plastic pipe with an end plug, and a sock. I was able to get a good image. Lots of work, not sure it was worth it, so until I can think of a better idea, doing in the old way-sgraffito. Maybe a smaller stamp would work, don't know.

best,

Pres

4 hours ago, shawnhar said:

I can't seem to get the stamp to show up very well, even when I have just pulled the mug off the bat, it's like I need support inside the bottom to keep it from giving. Anyone have a solution for this?

We sort of gave up on impressions and resorted to stamping with underglaze on bisque ware. Really hard to get it to look like a well hand done script signature though. I think the first is stamped well and hand signed, second just stamped and third stamped well but I think Marcia couldn’t take it and filled it in by hand.

sorry, don’t have a go to idea for this. Our conclusion, folks who letter nicely are hard to beat and impressions on simple designs are fine but script letters or complicated designs, tough to do.

9BFD286C-E76E-41F2-BC06-711E550156F3.jpeg

C39BD2C1-729C-4FBC-8DE5-0DCC72370C9E.jpeg

A09A6C4A-5FED-4B1D-877C-D55B6CD3A9EB.jpeg

On 7/25/2021 at 1:56 PM, shawnhar said:

I thought of making a bisque disc on a stick type thing, where I could put the mug down over and have some inside support.

yes, do this, but a wide stick, that will stand up by itself.

I have a jar lid that just fits my moulded mugs, cover it with plastic, sit it on a narrow jar.  But it's slow.

Archived