QotW: Are you dealing with any supply chain issues, or seeing creeping material prices that have or may cause you to raise prices?

Yesterday @Mark C. posted: 

Any supply chain issues for you as well as raising costs in thios new landscape . Things like plaster are scare as well as talc at Laguna Clay Com.Equipment is long backordered they say- Prices are creeping up on most items

I had to raise my prices as well to keep up.

any issues for you in ceramics?

To paraphrase, if I may, QotW: Are you dealing with any supply chain issues, or seeing creeping material prices that have or may cause you to raise prices?

Personally, I have not purchased any materials this year yet, and not any in the last few years as I am usually a bulk buyer with little in the way of output. I even have #50 of Albany slip purchased years ago! However, as I have run out of metallic oxide  materials for glazes I will be making a trip to Pittsburgh SC to stock up once again. I am sure I will be in for sticker shock!

I will repeat my plea: QotW: Are you dealing with any supply chain issues, or seeing creeping material prices that have or may cause you to raise prices?

best,

Pres

My clay prices and chemicals have all gone up. Demand has gone berserk

I have raised prices and am still doing that. My 1st show is coming up  a few states away and all pots will cost more except for spoon rests .

My  natural gas cost has risen as well. 

Edited by Mark C.

2 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Hate to point it out in case it creates a rush, but Ferro has closed some US manufacturing plants and is in the process of moving them to Mexico. There are interruptions in the availability of 3134 and 3124.

If I used them I would buy a 50# bag for sure.

My output is so minimal that bulk purchase does me no good, and yet, of course, the shipping on small orders is beyond do-able. I've had clay arrive so late (by more than a month) that I missed a production deadline. All the prices are creeping up. I have to drive to another state to get anything from a pottery supplier-one is is in ME  & one is in MA.  Auto gas is up and the electric bill for the kiln is now very discernable-it used to be quite modest. The primary outlet that carried my "smalls" had great tourist traffic & did live online shopping, but effective the end of June, it failed as a new business and and is now closed. Other than all of the above, things are just peachy-keen.

I've set prices for the year - through the holiday season - and am committed to sticking to'm until then.

I had a wholesale opportunity, which, for me, meant wrapping my head around wholesale and being consistent with pricing.

Excepting the (very) infrequent opportunities to shop and haul, shipping is a very big part of supply purchases - material and shipping costs are both going up up up. I'm trying for long term planning, such that most of my materials can be picked up when I can shop in person, however, that's once a year, if that...

• Pres unpinned this topic