Ceramic piece made to be easily (but not to easily) broken (!!)

moh

This is a peculiar project but it's been put on my lap so I wonder what you think.
I'm working with a client who wants to put their trinkets inside a small closed ceramic vessel (apparently they'll glue this together)
The idea is that the vessel should be easily breakable by customers using a tiny hammer but not break so easily that it's fragile like greenware. It's all about the experience of "reveal".
At first I thought well this could be stained low fire piece. But here's the catch -- they need the clay stained with vibrant color. I don't think the standard stains show its full vibrancy until mid range temp. I'm stumped! Happy to hear any of your wonderful ideas. 

2 hours ago, moh said:

I don't think the standard stains show its full vibrancy until mid range temp. I'm stumped! Happy to hear any of your wonderful ideas. 

Generally heat kills color. Lots of very vibrant lowfire glazes, and underglazes available as well as stains that will keep their color under the lower temps.. Check out Mayco lowfire stuff on their website, lots of decorative options, very bright. As far as easy to break but not too easy, some well placed score lines could assist with this. Lowfire stuff generally can be much brighter than mid and high.

Archived