Kiln shed requirements

jrm14

I have an electric Rohde kiln and need to house it in an outhouse, a shed. Rohde have just emailed me to say that dew or condensation could harm the kiln, which is alarming to say the least, as I can't any longer use it in the house and need to use it outside. I can build whatever necessary to make this as insulated as a house, if that's the issue. But I'd like to hear from other people who've had success relocating their kiln to an outhouse or shed and anyone who has advice about how best to do it. 

sounds like you are in the UK.  my impression of that area's weather is that it rains every day.  that is a lot of humidity to deal with. 

a properly built, insulated shed should protect it well.  do you plan to use the shed in any other way?  one of out members, Chilly, uses a shed and lives in England.  maybe she will respond.

Welcome to the forum.  Can you update your membership info and tell us where in the world you are located please?

My kiln lives in a greenhouse.  The air does feel damp sometimes in the winter - like today - it's cold and foggy.  (Cold in the UK is below 5C.  Today is 2C.)

I don't often fire during the winter, but have never seen condensation on the kiln.

My bigger warning, is to ensure you have a proper electricity supply.  If you search my previous posts, and lots of others you will find all the info you require.

Thanks for your replies. I'm building the shed. It has concrete floor, rear brick wall, wooden sides (with 50mm insulation boards) and roof. The wooden outer shell will be enveloped in Tyvek Housewrap Breather Wall Membrane. It will definitely be as weatherproof as a modern house, only a lot smaller! So I was surprised to hear from Rohde that moisture was always a problem. Perhaps some people just bung a kiln in a standard shed and hope for the best.

I'll use the shed for firing and for storing other ceramic stuff, well away from the kiln during firing.

Electricity will be  is on its own supply, all done by qualified electrician.

Suggest including dedicated kiln vent (pulling kiln atmosphere) and secondary fume & heat venting, hence adequate provision for make up air as well.

From there, shelving (I prefer shelving mounted to walls over floor standing), cart(s), counter and et cetera for managing the ware, also sidewalk and smooth ramps to roll your ware laden wheeled contraptions to and fro, for carrying gets harder after it gets easier (inna long view).

Might as well put in surround sound as well.

It will be fine as long as it doesn't get wet from rain. The only thing to worry about is that the electrical connections will tend to corrode faster when in a humid environment, and the metal parts will rust faster. But it'll still work just fine. Just check the wiring every 6 months or so and replace connections as needed. People keep their kilns in sheds and unheated garages all the time. My studio/shop is not air conditioned, and the overhead door is open all day every day, so I get all that Midwest USA humidity and it's not an issue.

Archived