Buying Used Shimpo Cone Art Kiln - Model BX2827D - good idea?

ango0211

Hi all, I am looking to buy a used Shimpo Cone Art Kiln - Model BX2827D for a home studio that I am in the process of setting up. It says it comes with a 3 Zone Bartlett Controller, which I think means that it's a V6-CF 700 series controller. I've only ever used automatic electric Skutt kilns which are super easy. Is this kiln as  easy to operate? I have zero experience firing a manual kiln with kiln sitter.

Thank you for any and all advice!

The operators manual is available from Bartlett controls. It’s really the control that has been on many kilns over many years, often rebranded. Simple to operate. And a cone art kiln is a thing, not sure shimpo has anything to do with it Frank Tucker and Cone Art Kilns out of Ontario Canada I believe.

That is a 10 cu ft (fairly large) kiln that requires an 80 amp breaker on single phase 240v BTW.

Nice wiring diagrams and manuals available on their website

https://coneartkilnsshop.com/

4 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

And a cone art kiln is a thing, not sure shimpo has anything to do with it

Shimpo has (had?) a line called ConeArt. Not sure what the connection is to Tucker's, if they're just branding them or what. Can't get the Shimpo website to load this morning.

@ango0211 If the wall bricks, floor, and lid are all in good condition, and the price is right, it'll be a good kiln. The Bartlett controller is the same circuit board as the Skutt contoller, but Skutt has simplified the touchpad a bit. If you can use a Skutt you can use a Bartlett.

A couple of thoughts  - Cone Art brand kilns are made by Tucker's Pottery, and are well regarded. It seems that the current Tucker's webpage lists this model as 2827D, while all the independent kiln dealers that carry this brand call it BX2827D. Dunno what's with the BX numbering, but everything else matches. Not sure of the connection to the Shimpo name either. As others have noted, this is a very large kiln, usually suited to high production volume, and requires a very substantial dedicated 80 amp circuit. If you are just setting up a home studio for the first time, please consider carefully whether this size kiln is appropriate.

Regarding the controller, yes, the ConeArt default controller is a Bartlett V6-CF. As you are familiar with the Skutt KilnMaster series, you will find that this one is almost like it. That's because the Skutt controllers are actually private label Bartlett controllers with a few of the buttons moved around to a different place on the faceplate. When you get used to the buttons being in a different place, nearly everything else is the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I missed out on this kiln, but it seems like it would have been too large for me anyways. You have all furthered my knowledge and I am closer to understanding what kind of kiln I want for a home set up. Thank you!

10 hours ago, ango0211 said:

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I missed out on this kiln, but it seems like it would have been too large for me anyways. You have all furthered my knowledge and I am closer to understanding what kind of kiln I want for a home set up. Thank you!

bummer, hoe you get the next one. We have a Skutt 1027 with the Kilnmaster controller and two others with Bartlett controllers nd there isn't much difference. Both have some pre-programmed fast/slows and both allow you to put in custom ones as well so don't worry about if another one pops up with a Bartlett or Kilnmaster. 

Archived