Cracks in bisque pieces along rim and side

Kimmiko18

On 12/4/2018 at 2:54 PM,  liambesaw said: 

If you're compressing your bottoms well and not lettting water sit in the bottom, i would blame the clay.  I've never heard of a firing process introducing cracks, my bisque casualties have always been massive and violent.  If it were from stacking improperly I'd expect the crack to form on the rim instead of the bottom.  If your facility has been recycling clay it might be losing too many fines and needs them replaced (glazenerd's recipe is I think 60% ball clay, 20% silica, 20% feldspar @ 1 cup per gallon of reclaim)

I'd definitely ask the professor though, it's probably something they've seen before and can remedy.

Hi,

wondering if anyone can help

I have a large bowl with a small 2cm crack from the rim, it has been bisque fired and what can i do to repair?

I have a similar problem, but longer on another bowl.

thickness of sides and rim all ok, it is hand built so i do try to compress as much as i can around the rim.

Also where I’m having the firing down my work (and I guess others works) are coming out with black marks like dots on them,

just wondering what that could be.

Many thanks/‘

15 hours ago, Kimmiko18 said:

Also where I’m having the firing down my work (and I guess others works) are coming out with black marks like dots on them,

just wondering what that could be.

Post a picture, could be flecks of spalled thermocouple if it's not in a protection tube or bits from a rusty lid band or spitting from something in the kiln.

Archived