Help to find similar glazes please

Bam2015

Hello, 

I follow a potter on Instagram which creates some beautiful colors. I've reached out to her a couple of times to ask if she mixes her own glazes or if they are commercial and unfortunately she does not respond. I understand that not everyone wants to share their secrets, but wondering if anyone can tell me if they know of any commercial glazes which create these purples and blues. If you don't know of commercial glazes, do you have recipes for similar glazes? 

Thank you so much.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.49.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.48.21 PM.png

Babs, no I haven't looked on Glazy.org to try to find this combo, but will check it out. I use stoneware and porcelain and fire to cone 5-6 in an electric kiln.

Liam, beautiful colors, thank you for sharing. 

Rockhopper, I wondered if they are Amaco stains. I have several of the Potter's Choice glazes and the blues featured could very well be Amaco stains. 

Betty

13 hours ago, Bam2015 said:

Babs, no I haven't looked on Glazy.org to try to find this combo, but will check it out. I use stoneware and porcelain and fire to cone 5-6 in an electric kiln.

Liam, beautiful colors, thank you for sharing. 

Rockhopper, I wondered if they are Amaco stains. I have several of the Potter's Choice glazes and the blues featured could very well be Amaco stains. 

Betty

I think you are looking for glazes and not stains.  A friend of mine who uses commercial glazes gets a lot of layering information from Pinterest.  She has achieved some beautiful combinations.  Perhaps put amaco glazes in the search bar of Pinterest.  Good luck!

Roberta

300247214_19-33sm.jpg.6181b8bed3c884a448d47626025d522c.jpg576235957_DSC02401(1)sm.jpg.de28cf4edc0867b4cd7a031bb42622cf.jpg3 coats PC33 Oatmeal over 3 coats PC31 Iron Lustre on Laguna B-Mix^5 +a narrow band of 3 Duncan Renaissance Shino cream on the rim of the hex vase gave me this look...while 3 coats PC33 Oatmeal over 3 coats PC31 Iron Lustre on Laguna B-Mix^5 gave this look on the tea cup...

In your photo it looks like some combo that used Smokey Merlot as the base coat...you might try Oatmeal or Blue Rutile as the top coat.

The Shino Cream makes for a runny "Hare's fur" look as evidenced in the hex vase.

Archived