Used wheel: Able to stop wheel with my hands

Hi there,

I have done ceramics for many years but I have never owned my own equipment. I've been looking for used wheels. I saw one today online today for $500 and I went to try to buy it right away. I have seen people recommending online that you try centering a large piece of clay on a used wheel you are trying to buy, but I think a lot of people selling their used wheels aren't doing pottery anymore, don't want the mess, and don't want to spend the time. The guy selling this one was in a real hurry! When I turned it on it made an inconsistent sound, not a consistent hum which worried me. I just tried grabbing the wheel to see if it would stop. I was able to stop it in a slow and fast setting. So I walked away. Is this a fair test to perform? I've never tried it on a wheel that I know is well-functioning. Does this semi-accurately represent the strain I would be putting on a wheel when centering a large piece of clay. If I am throwing something "big" I usually work with 5.5 kilos but I'd like to have the option to throw bigger or combine forms.

This is a picture from the ad. I should have gotten a better picture but I felt so rushed and disappointed.

When I got home we watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0IbUw77JxU and I was thinking that if this wheel is powered by this cone thing than of course it stopped when I grabbed the wheel? Maybe a mechanism to protect the motor?

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! Advice on this situation or other ways to ensure I don't buy something stupid! I don't have lots of money to throw around :)

Thanks in advance!

Caitlin

wheel200829.png

It does appear to be an older model Shimpo.  I purchased one a few years ago as a back up wheel.  We rewired the cord and greased it and it runs well.  It's rather noisy but it definitely works.  You can still get parts for the older Shimpos.  A friend was just gifted an old one, and has ordered a couple of parts and it is running well.  I think $500 is a bit high for one that old, but maybe that is the going rate in your area.  

Hopefully someone else can give you information as to why you could stop the wheel head.

Roberta

9 hours ago, Roberta12 said:

It does appear to be an older model Shimpo.  I purchased one a few years ago as a back up wheel.  We rewired the cord and greased it and it runs well.  It's rather noisy but it definitely works.  You can still get parts for the older Shimpos.  A friend was just gifted an old one, and has ordered a couple of parts and it is running well.  I think $500 is a bit high for one that old, but maybe that is the going rate in your area.  

Hopefully someone else can give you information as to why you could stop the wheel head.

Roberta

Thanks for the info, Roberta! This stuff IS expensive in this area. If it is going to cost $500 up front, plus a couple additional hundred for repairs (or possibly it can't be repaired), I wonder if I should just invest in a new wheel? I'll just have to keep my eye out for other wheels and learn as I go, but it is really great to be able to ask questions on here from others with experience!

I'd definitely also love advice from anyone who has good resources for diagnosing, treating, and ordering parts for wheels that need some work.  My husband would love to try to fix some wheels if we can get a good price but we have no experience with such tings.

We will be checking out another wheel on Monday night that isn't running, the person thinks it is the electrical cord. My husband wants to try to fix it. They lady wants to charge $250 for it. She is a little hard to communicate with. Hahah. A bit flakey so we have no additional info, but she is a potter who had a successful business for many years. In contrast, the guy who was selling the wheel above only threw on it once and had no experience with pottery. He probably didn't know it wasn't working correctly. But his rushing me should have been a red flag.

Thanks again!

42 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

If that's an rk2 you should be able to adjust the foot pedal forward to provide more torque.

The mount that the cone drive sits on, can be adjusted.  If it isn't in the right spot, it won't provide as much power as it could otherwise.  I know this, because I fixed up the one in my classroom last year, and I'm still tinkering to get that mount put back exactly right!

16 hours ago, Benzine said:

The mount that the cone drive sits on, can be adjusted.  If it isn't in the right spot, it won't provide as much power as it could otherwise.  I know this, because I fixed up the one in my classroom last year, and I'm still tinkering to get that mount put back exactly right!

Great! Next time I'll know. 

Archived