Safe to screw feet into small plaster wedging board?

Jacksheb

Hello,

I've poured a small 15"x12" plaster wedging board with the intention of moving around and wedging/reclaiming on different work tables. Not very familiar with pottery plaster - is it safe to drill/screw in small rubber feet on the bottom of the plaster board once completely dry? Or should I have inserted them while the plaster was still setting?

Thank you!

Jack

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't add feet to the wedging board. When you wedge there is a lot of force being pushed downwards, I think you run the risk of cracking it. Is the idea of the feet to stop the wedging board from moving around on the table? 

In lieu of feet, put a folded-to-size damp towel under the board to secure it. 

Or, put small dots of silicone (about 1/2") at intervals around the edges. Allow to set up for about an hour, then turn over onto a sheet of waxed paper or plastic bag on a level surface. Allow to set 24 hours, then peel off the paper/plastic. This should produce thin disc-blobs that will keep the board from traveling. If they wear or peel off, they are easily replaced. 

23 hours ago, Jacksheb said:

I've poured a small 15"x12" plaster wedging board with the intention of moving around and wedging/reclaiming on different work tables.

use a thin open weave kitchen drawer liner cut to the size of the wedging board.  provides some "non-slip" effect plus a means of "breathing" of the bottom of the wedging board (plaster) to remove moisture. 
has worked for at least 15 years for me for plaster, wood, and concrete wedging boards. Better than towels which rot after a year or so. 

LT

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jacksheb said:

Wow, thank you all for your thorough suggestions! I will try the silicon dots on the bottom, and if I mess that up, I'll give the drawer liner trick a go. Thanks!

I would do the silicone dots over the entire bottom, not just the edges, if you are going that route...I like LT's idea of the mat...no work and probably costs less than a tube of silicone sealer.

@Jacksheb, If wishing to keep it from moving, build a frame to fit on a plywood base board, and add the feet to the bottom of the plywood. This fix will get you a more solid area to the plaster, protect the poured corner edges, and make it much easier to carry without damaging the plaster. Remember that even a pin head sized piece of plaster will make a major pop in fired clay.

best,

Pres

Archived