Hi Everyone!

Hoping to get some tips on using Amaco bisque fix, before I use on some of my pieces. I know this can be great for sealing cracks, but the problem I have run into is that my stamp does not press into greenware well. I wish I had tried to fix with slip before firing, but I was working too quickly. I do not want to give up some of these pieces since this is just the bottom! And they otherwise look nice. 

My plan was to try using bisque fix to fill in the stamp impression, sand the piece, and paint over with white underglaze. Then I can ideally re-stamp with underglaze instead of impressing into the clay. For those who have used bisque fix, does this seem like it may work? Can bisque fix be used on the bottom or could it potentially stick to the kiln? 

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you!

IMG-0073.jpg

what is your stamp made of?   if you can get another one that has a slightly rounded base for the letters to sit on top, it will work better rolling it on a flat surface like this one.

if yours is metal, maybe you could put something inside the pot to keep the bottom flat while you push the stamp into the clay.    

with such a short name, it would seem easier to write it in rather than fiddle around with a stamp.

@oldlady My current stamp is clear acrylic, but I think the rectangular shape of it does not work quite right. I am looking to replace it with a  rubber stamp so that I can use underglaze rather than impress into the clay. Just trying to decide whether I want the same signature or something new! Thanks!

On 7/26/2020 at 6:50 PM, Ale Clay Lab said:

I am starting my home studio,

To get you out of years and years of wasted time.... it's better to start proper.

Not only is it faster to make another piece.

To learn to make another piece correctly is faster than learning to use these bogus repair products.

The folks here can solve any problem with enough information, so rather than allow you to go down this snake filled rabbit hole, I'd like to pull you out safely.

What are you attempting to fix?

Forgive me if I'm assuming, but an improper start can bring the Capitol F in frustration.

Sorce

Archived