QotW: What are other activities that influence your ceramic work or keep you mentally healthy other than daly directly.

Mark C.  asked a question in the QotW pool this week, that is a different take:  What are other activities that influence your ceramic work or keep you mentally healthy other than daly directly. For me its other passions that are just like clay. I have to do them-what are yours.?

I have often mentioned my bowling, and my kayaking. This last several months has been tough on both. Bowling has been canceled until Fall, the leagues are done. Most bowling alleys are opening, every other alley. The largest population of bowlers is older, so it is doubtful if there will much in the way of tournaments or other larger bowling venues in my area. 

Kayaking, has been on hold, as last fall I purchased a new Mazda 3 hatchback, and will have to spend a bit to get a new rack to fit the car. strange to see a 16 ft. sea kayak on a Mazda 3, but that is what I have been carrying them on. Actually two of them when my wife or someone else is along. 

All in all these things are exercise, stress relief, and recreation.

So once again, 

QothW: What are other other activities that influence your ceramic work or keep you mentally healthy other than daly directly.

best,

Pres

Thanks for posting the my question 

As some of you know already besides clay I have a few other passions-one is diving with a camera the other is Tuna Fishing.

It took hold of me in the middle 90s (tuna fishing) and I have only missed one year since catching albacore tuna. Most is what we refer to as ( out front) our local Humboldt county waters or trailer the 23 foot whaler up to middle Oregon or as far south as Monterey. I have fished most ports in a 300 mile rage from home in past 25 years.

About three years ago some local filmmakers got a grant to make a film about the food grown or made or caught in whats know as Humboldt Nation ( I live in Humboldt County)

We produce some of the best foods on the planet here like Cypress Cheese as well as Beers and Breads. They filmed  interviews for a year and thought about one large film but realized it was to big so they made three films-the first two where shown at a grand opening last fall in our restored grand Eureka Theater. They where very well done and have been rebroadcast on local PBS station. Its big screen film. The third film on local tuna was completed last week and they released it a few days ago for free  due to Covid and the Theaters being closed here . Its on Vimeo

I will add My interview was 3 years ago and since that time Myself and crew supplied them with sport tuna video clips during the last two years -the shots taken with the Dophins and the tuna working bait where taken off my vessel Onokai as well as us catching tuna. We are the ones in the yellow bibs catching tuna.This was a few different trips. I'm the guy with fish on working the boat throttle back and reeling fish in as My friend Duncan McNeill gaffs the fish. My other Friend Yoshi  Uemura and Travis may also abroad shot video as well as caught fish.

My friend Dennis Rael (in film as well speaking about sport tuna) got me involved in this film (he fishes on my boat as well) He got the filmmakers  intrested into the sport Tuna part of this fishery story .I am known around here as a Tuna Head (I have whats known and Tuna Fever ,a really bad case of it) Its  been infecting me going on 26 years now.There is no known cure.

Now the ocean is really whats behind this passion and thats where I am most comfortable -either on it or under it. Tuna for me has spilled into making lots of ceramic tuna as well as My underwater photography has turned into making clay fish-mosty tropical as I know about most of the saltwater species now and fish are a huge passion for me . I have a library on fish species as well as cal and of course Tuna Books-I seem to only catch and eat Tuna mostly the days over other fish (a few Halibut as well) . Clay still runs deep but I need ocean time to maintain the studio time-its wrapped together for me as a lifestyle at this point. Clay Tuna and diving.

A foot note-this film is best viewed on large screen so if you can you can run it thru a Roku unit I'm told or I ran it thru a HDMI cable and adaptor and on to a large screen TV thru a laptop or iPad .

Just use the largest screen you access to. to have the best experience of the film. It was made for the Theater screen. They did great job with the editing and sound

Enjoy the film -Click on the food for thought Humboldt County photo when it comes up

https://vimeo.com/search/channel?q=Food+for+thought+humboldt    

Edited by Mark C.

Probably my normal job.  I am lucky enough to have a creative day job, I make teeth for people.  A lot of the movements and smoothness is the same just exaggerated with clay.  I'm also surrounded by old equipment and chemical containers and stuff like that, it really puts me into a weird container mindset.

My wife and I also love going thrifting and I draw a lot of inspiration from old junk we find when we are out doing that.

"It took hold of me in the middle 90s..." 

Thought you were in early sixties (ba-bing).

Good question! Just wrapping up year two of retirement, hence, it resonates.

The importance of social activity/contact is highlighted by our current situation - it's an important part of sanity maintenance; have been missing trips to the gym, meeting new people out and about, and weekly brunch with friends.

Swimming and cycling are important sanity maintenance activities for me, also reading and projects.

( for me.(It took hold of me in the middle 90s..." )-tuna fishing that is-yes I'm 67 now and clay started for me  in 69-70-Diving with scuba in 82.-snorkled since a kid-still am a kid really at heart.This covid has slowed me down at a great time as I was trying to let off the gas and now thats easy.

This is a very good Question and one that for artist is important to speak out to yourself and others from time to time. 

I have found keeping my central theme and motivational philosophy around my art helps me to continue to be excited about creating new work on at least a weekly basis.  I have a profound love of family and family gatherings.  The image of hand made whimsical dishes (pottery) full of nourishing food prepared by loving hands being  passed around a big outdoor table as family sits together and interacts with discussion and laughter about life, faith, work, family, politic, and may other topics is  what drives my creative spirit.  I love to bring whimsy, color, texture and surprise to my functional art pottery work that sparks conversation and joy of use.  

• Pres unpinned this topic