Buying Used- help!

Cderep

https://youtu.be/2pThMPEBmPw

I hope someone can help. I am thinking of purchasing a Pacifica GT400 from some who bought the wheel roughly 10 years ago, but it was never used, as the person he purchased it for passed away; he’s been holding onto it ever since.

overall, it appears to be pristine, but there is a knocking noise I’m concerned about that you can hear in the video linked above. I’m hoping it’s something common and an easy fix- maybe just from sitting unused so long? Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!

Sounds like to me the belt is stiff from sitting so long, kind of like a tire out of round when the car sits. I would try centering some clay on it and see how things sound after a few hours of use. Other option would be to take off the cover on the belt, and check the belt, then remove the belt and see if you hear the problem from the motor. Then try free turning the wheel head, see if there is anything there in the way of noise or resistance. If not, then I would assume the belt is as I said earlier "flat".

Welcome to the forum.

best,

Pres

Thanks! This is my first pottery purchase (I’ve been handbuilding with local clay a few months), but I thought something along the lines of what you mentioned my he the case. Thanks again for the feedback!

That's the wheel I have and really like because of the super responsive pedal.  I can confidently move the wheel 1/4 turn.  To me, that the best test of control.

My wheel was purchased more than 20 years ago, so yours may have a different setup, but the drive belts on mine are 4 large O ring type belts.  They don't last forever, but are pretty easy to replace.  If you stand the wheel up on the nose, you can remove the bottom cover with 4 screws and take a look at them.  Make sure the big wheel has 4 grooves to receive the belts and is not a V type pulley.  If it is, the knocking you hear are the belts riding over each other.    I posted my fix earlier.

It's a great wheel, congrats on getting a good used deal.

Is the sound sync'd with the wheel head? Sounds like the "tick" of something touching once per revolution - perhaps look for scuff mark on surfaces nearest wheel head and wheel head pulley (above and below). Nice wheel.

I think its aflat spot on the belt from sitting for 10 years.

a new belt will fix it orit may go aways after this belt gets used some.

Those early model with o-ring belts wherte not as good as current models

The bigest down side with any Pacific wheel is the deck-its covered with plastic top but under that top is flake board . So if you ever put a hole thru that top water gets into the flakeboard and it expands (and is a bear to fix) so take care of top and fix any holes before water can penetrate .I have seen a few really damaged in a art center setting.

The funny thing about these is I toured the factory about 30 years ago whne it was out of state up near Canada. The founder was also the founder of servas international. My mother was also envolved with this organization back in the day (long passed now) .Back then the wheel where made with flakeboard as well. Those wheels can be super quiet -that was the big selling point back in the day.

Thanks everyone! I’m glad to have found such a responsive and helpful community. I was thinking I would have to drive the 3 plus hours and hope for the best with very little knowledge. I really appreciate your time!

I've been meaning to post a picture of my setup.  Mark reminded me that the underside of the Pacifica wheel is particle board.  Here's the way I set it up.  That's a standard formica counter top cut to fit under the catch pan and lifted with some 2x4s to be tight.  Nice and tidy.  For a potter.

wheel.jpg

I'd still pull the cover off the bottom and give it a visual inspection.  Be nice to know if you have the 4 O rings model or the V belt model.  If O rings, then the condition of the rings.

I used my wheel for 20 years not knowing it wasn't operating properly.

Archived