Hello everyone, this is my first time on the forum, so glad I found you all.

I wonder if anyone can help me with my slipcasting problem? I have made a narrow (4cm) and tall (26cm) cylinder mould and although the first cast came out satisfactory, the next three have came out the mould with  the bases ‘sucked’ in/imploded. Could it be that the opening to the mould is too narrow to drain the slip? Or could my slip be too thick? When I cut into the cast it was still filled with slip about a quarter of the way up the form. If my slip is too thick, could I add a little water to thin it down?
Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Laura  

Could you confirm it was a casting slip you used? (sometimes people try casting with a watered down pugged claybody) Are you measuring the viscosity and specific gravity of the slip?

Welcome to the forum :)

Hi Min,

thank you for replying and for the welcome. :) 

I am using ‘ready made’ casting slip from Potclays. (I am based in Scotland). The slip seems to be thicker now that I am getting near to the end of my supply although I am not sure why that would be. As I am using a shop bought product, I have not measured the viscosity. Is there a certain number this should be? Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks. Laura 

On 5/29/2020 at 8:50 PM, LauraL said:

Or could my slip be too thick?

Yes, you can thin it down.  It may be insufficiently stirred. I find the best way to "stir" slip, is to pour it from bucket to bucket at least 6 times.  

Archived