Rough shipping

Had 3 orders smashed with Canad postal service in a week, only had 3 orders in 4 years before this. Can't believe they managed to shatter mugs, never had a mug broken before and I wrap them better than ever.

Anyone finding a higher rate of breakage with shipping lately?

I had one chalice stem break, but it was a flaw in the pot. A picture of the broken piece showed that only about 1/2 of the stem/bowl join was complete. All other pieces shipped the same as the last 25 years were intact on arrival. Shipping rates are up, as the USPS upped their fees in January. I am very pleased with the service I get at USPS, but may be looking for another shipper due to rates on the 14X14X14 boxes I ship in.

best,

Pres

44 minutes ago, Pres said:

I had one chalice stem break, but it was a flaw in the pot. A picture of the broken piece showed that only about 1/2 of the stem/bowl join was complete. All other pieces shipped the same as the last 25 years were intact on arrival. Shipping rates are up, as the USPS upped their fees in January. I am very pleased with the service I get at USPS, but may be looking for another shipper due to rates on the 14X14X14 boxes I ship in.

best,

Pres

I shipped a bunch of stuff last week, and noticed that the 14x14x14 were kinda pricey with USPS. UPS had cheaper rate for that size and larger. I get business rates with UPS though, so they may not be better for everyone.

15 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I shipped a bunch of stuff last week, and noticed that the 14x14x14 were kinda pricey with USPS. UPS had cheaper rate for that size and larger. I get business rates with UPS though, so they may not be better for everyone.

You can get discounted shipping rates with UPS if you are a member of ICAN...You could probably cover the cost of membership if you ship a lot of stuff...

19 boxes of the size, even though I joined ICAN this year to go to the canceled NCECA, don't know as it makes a lot of difference. My shipping is completely paid for by customer, and they don't complain.

best,

Pres

Keep in mind that the OP is in Canada, folks. As much as we may complain about it, Canada Post is less expensive to ship with than the big courier services are, unless you’re doing a LOT of volume. Even with ICAN benefits. And my customers pay the shipping too. 

And it’s worth noting that all shipping services are coping with larger volumes while having to cope with a pandemic. There’s going to be slow downs and errors, just like at Christmas. 

B

6 minutes ago, Min said:

And Canada Post will not cover any damage to ceramics regardless of how well it's packed.

But they sure tried to sell the extra insurance to me. The parcels get handles rough during Christmas time so we don't  usually ship around then. Now everyone is buying on line so I will start to package bombproof. Most items now will each get there own box  or cardboard around and then boxed together to ship to the customer.

18 minutes ago, ronfire said:

But they sure tried to sell the extra insurance to me. The parcels get handles rough during Christmas time so we don't  usually ship around then. Now everyone is buying on line so I will start to package bombproof. Most items now will each get there own box  or cardboard around and then boxed together to ship to the customer.

And then if you put a claim in they tell you about Section 12.1.2 subsection c "Canada Post shall have no liability for damage of shipments containing Fragile Items. Fragile Items include but are not limited to ceramic, glass, porcelain, mirrors, crystal, pottery, china, perishable items or items requiring refrigeration or temperature-controlled transportation."

In US, I don't get the insurance, priority though covers up to $50 I believe. Years ago, I went through the insurance claim on a shipment. . . by the time I added up time in paper work, the angst of the receiver of the pottery dealing with sending the pieces back to me, and their time involved, I said forget it, bit the bullet and sent the purchaser/receiver a new set and paid for the shipping myself. In the long run, customer satisfaction is a better future for me than having them turned off because of some shipping hastle.

best,

Pres

Archived