A Paradigm Shift

My profit margins have been larger this year as well, due to moderate increases in sales and large decreases in overhead. I definitely think there’s something to be said for not working yourself to death. I haven’t got a bunch of projects done, but I have kids (8 and 12) that haven’t been in school since early March. We’ve been learning more to work as a family unit to get a lot of the usual daily stuff done. Getting the kids (the husband was already pretty equitable) to share in responsibilities as a matter of course on more things has been huge.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEP said (All things that I’ve wanted to do for years but never had time, until this year. )

Its really been  great to get at theses  things with the time to do it-usually way to busy-now its get them done and behind us.By spring it will all be done.

• 3 weeks later...

July store sales down 15% from 2019.

August store sales down 30% from 2019.    Only 5% down from August 2018.

The store is still profitable.    Labor cost down more than 50%.   I've permanently eliminated one position and for now my Saturday help.   (I can easily handle store on Saturday.  My full time pottery worker fell and had to have hip surgery and won't be back for 3 or 4 months.  I've bought enough stoneware bisque to equate to about $12K extra sales.   I should be close to the projected pottery demand.  I had calculated on losing my October show, the Canton MS flea market Oct 8.  However today, they announced they were having this event.  I'm going to take mostly jewelry,

• 7 months later...

Well, this is an update from my post back in June 2020. I gave the local touristy "artisans" gift shop a fair trial.  Sold very little --my style and choice of pieces never meshed with the vibe of the shop and "I don't do gnomes." The shop owner is very personable, has a great following, but is one of the worst business people I've run into. I just do not have the tolerance/patience to deal with someone too loosey-goosey or too busy to bother returning my emails, as a vendor, and  one too many times I drove up there and the shop was closed-no sign on the door-maybe a "reasonable" explanation on the FB page a day later.  So I finished out last month, pulled out all my stock and brought it back to my studio. I expect that will be my first & last foray into consignment as a conduit for selling my wares.

I pulled my stuff from my only consignment right after Easter. It was a local winery, always busy, food trucks every weekend, about a 10 minute drive from my home and sales were ok to mediocre.

Owner was a nice enough guy, very friendly and all but hard to pin down to get paid. He wanted me to come on the first of each month to give me a check and it seemed that I always had to go back 2 or 3 times to get paid. Either he was out and his staff didn't know where he left the check or he was busy on the phone, always an excuse.

Last time I asked him to just mail me a check and he said that I have to come here anyway to restock and that he preferred handing me payment in person. I said that it would be easier for me not to do consignment and only do wholesale and he can let me know when he needs restocking. We agreed not to continue and left on good terms with him saying that he would like me to return in the fall for his food, wine and craft show.

I smiled and said "thanks, will do" but thinking to myself "not gonna happen"

Life is to short to deal with headaches

When I started out with consignment shops in the 70s I had the same situtaions that you have all written about. It took some time to find the few shops that sales and payment and stocking all worked well and trust built up. I found one in 1973 and am still there thru 4 owners but now I wholesale to them. I only have two consignment shops left and one is struggling  a bit in the pandemic the other is booming. Its all because of the owners in each case and how thay run the business.

It takes a long time to get all this right for us potters to find the right shop that works for both parties. Now 45 years later I would not do consighnment and turn all offers down outright but thats becuse I can afford to and am on the back end of this carreer ,and I have enough outlets..

If I was starting out again I would be taking the  time to feel it all out looking for that right shop.

I did consignment in our area years ago. I would have a new venue, the hot thing for the area, and all would go well for a 1/2 year or so. Then the shop would close, and things would move on. At one shop, it closed, and I lost all stock there, as the owners just shut down and left with bills behind, and no paper work. Get the picture.

Dropped consignment after that and haven't been back. However, there are a few shops in trendy towns around that have shops that have lasted through the covid. I might be getting in contact with them.

best,

Pres

Archived