changing white earthenware to stoneware .

vivk

Hi. I have a strange question. I got a bucket of dry mix from someone - the bucket says "white earthenware slip". I only work with stoneware usually. Can I change or adapt this to behave more like a stoneware- add more silica or grog. Is that a stupid question. Sorry about it, but these are desperate times and clay supplies are short.

5 hours ago, vivk said:

Hi. I have a strange question. I got a bucket of dry mix from someone - the bucket says "white earthenware slip". I only work with stoneware usually. Can I change or adapt this to behave more like a stoneware- add more silica or grog. Is that a stupid question. Sorry about it, but these are desperate times and clay supplies are short.

Are you wanting to use it as a slip or a clay body?

Would you want to fire to ^6 or ^10?  Many white earthenwares can fire to higher temps without distortion, although a thinly slipcast piece might distort due to structural imbalances. Mix up a small batch and make some test pieces. It will behave more like porcelain in some ways, but how your high fire glazes react when on earthenware will be interesting. Let us know what happens?

If you are using a dark body or even a medium, try mixing some up and using it as a slip over you pottery  for decoration. Most glazes will do very well over different clay colored decoration. Run some test tiles and glaze them.

best,

Pres

If you do fire it hotter, use a decent saucer or cookie under it.  I didn't and it melted into the brick floor of my kiln.  Took a chunk of brick out when I finally got round to removing it!  Needless to say, I take much more care now.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, vivk said:

Hi all.

Thanks for your input. I actually wanted to use it as a body, not a slip, 

"Slip" has two meanings:

1) decorating slip

2) casting slip.

When you say "use it as a body", are you thinking of throwing with it?  Not sure it will be plastic enough.

Archived