Keeping different clays separated

I'm certain I'm not the first to ask this, but can't find any posts on it... Feel free to link me to the right thread....

I just got a dark clay and am also using a white clay. How do you organize your clays/throwing days to keep them and their dust/sediment/recycling separate?

Thanks.

For me there is white porcelain clay 

and the rest-stonewares red brown or white

Never do these two meet

separate wedging tables wheel etc

I'm a full timer for you it may be just cleaning the wheels and wedging board

I tried for a bit, but I noticed that my white stoneware and porcelains look good when thrown with the same slip and water I use for my red stoneware.  It's only enough to give it a slight funk, but i think it looks real nice.  

For wedging I use a 2x2 sheet of Baltic birch plywood and I would keep one side for red and one side for white, and just flip it on my wedging table.  Now I don't even bother with that.

Here's an example of porcelain thrown with a little red stoneware throwing water.  There was enough iron in the surface to overcome the very light copper coloration in the glaze.

8lDbpc5.jpg

Interesting on th' colour mix Liamb!

How thorough the clean has been dependent on how much colour change, most thorough on change to white and after black; hence, the white and black - also red - runs are longest. I've separate wedging boards for white, red, buff-ish, black. 

Very hard always s pollution...esp from under wheel head when you think you have it all.

Suggest a long run of one then with separate boards buckets sponges bats and scrupulous wheel head and splash pan clean...even then.

Or do a middle run of pots where you dont cate.......until you get the "pure".

Mark's way the only way for sure.

Archived