Glossy glaze

Sabbir

Hi,Everyone, its my 2nd post here, first post was about micro pin hole problem, which already solved, it was body material problem, i need some suggestion about mason stain color,  i am using potash feldsper,  soda feldsper,  quartz, zirconium silicate,whitting,barium carbonate,talc, kaoline, zinc oxide on my glaze recepe,  when i am trying devlop some color like CBL, MINT GREEN, orange color, i can not get appropriate result,  how can i get appropriate result??  If there have Any suggestion please share with me, how can i devlope more glossy white& color base composition from this material?  

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Sabbir said:

@liambesaw thank you,  can you suggest me that how can i get pure glossy white glaze from this material? 

An easy way would be to find a clear gloss that suits your need and whatever cone you fire to. Then test that it fits your claybody then you can opacify or color white with several common oxides. Common would be:

• Tin oxide - warm white,  Typically starting about 4% (generally expensive)
  • Zirconium oxide- Stark white Typically starting at 8% (generally prone to metal marking)
  • Titanium oxide - Streaky white Typically Starting at 4%  (generally a bit variable or random)
  • Mixing and matching these is doable and the blend would provide various shades of white.

You can find many recipes on Glazy,org maybe search by cone , gloss or matte, and color,  then match the materials you have on hand.

8 hours ago, Sabbir said:

i am using potash feldsper,  soda feldsper,  quartz, zirconium silicate,whitting,barium carbonate,talc, kaoline, zinc oxide on my glaze recepe

1 hour ago, Sabbir said:

Fired at cone 6

I'm not seeing anything that contains boron. Is a boron frit, gerstley borate or even ulexite available to you?  Boron isn't necessary for high fire but it's really beneficial to get a good melt at cone 6.

Can you get nepheline syenite? That's a feldspathic mineral that has more sodium than soda feldspar, so it will melt sooner.  Also research Bristol glazes. Those are glazes first used in the Bristol England potteries in the mid-19th century that contained zinc oxide as one of the fluxes in place of the toxic lead oxide. These will likely not be as glossy as you want, because you'll need boron to get a better gloss at cone 6.

2 hours ago, Dick White said:

Can you get nepheline syenite? That's a feldspathic mineral that has more sodium than soda feldspar, so it will melt sooner.  Also research Bristol glazes. Those are glazes first used in the Bristol England potteries in the mid-19th century that contained zinc oxide as one of the fluxes in place of the toxic lead oxide. These will likely not be as glossy as you want, because you'll need boron to get a better gloss at cone 6.

Dick has a good idea. A Bristol glaze can melt lower than cone 6 and as a starting  point: Zinc =0.2 - 0.4 in a .70 RO base. I would try a quick search of Glazy.org for Bristol clear glaze and see if one matches your material  on hand. Zinc based clears have a tendency to mess with colors though so in the end it might be easiest to get a boron Fritt as your source..

2 hours ago, Dick White said:

He said in his original post that he has a soda spar, so that should work.

20 hours ago, Sabbir said:

boron not available here

Can you order some in from India? I did a quick Google search, Ravi's manufactures frits, including some boron ones. You could contact them and ask who the distributors are in your area. Also found that Bhoomi Pottery has Gerstley Borate. If you are going to be working at cone 6 I really do think that it would be worth finding a source of boron. A zinc fluxed Bristol glaze is one possibility of avoiding boron but having boron available will open up many more glaze choices.

Archived