Skutt kiln lid coating deteriorating

Dick White

7 minutes ago, Dick White said:

I have two older Skutt 1227s at the community studio on which the coating on the underside of the lid is cracking, separating from the brick, and dropping crumbs onto the ware on the top shelf. Does anyone know of a repair method for this coating?

TIA, dw

Pictures if you can. Generally lids are not coated so this may be a prior repair. Aside from a new lid there are fixes such as patching and even maybe flipping the lid and remounting appropriately. Again if you can figure out how to post a decent picture or two you will likely get some good suggestions here.

Pictures in the morning. These are OEM Skutt lids, no repairs that I know of. I installed them probably 10 years ago and am the only one who performs maintenance in that studio (new elements annually, kiln sitter parts as needed, etc.) and I never did anything to the lids. Yes, I understand lids are not generally coated, or at least none of the dozen or more L&Ls and Paragons I've worked on over the years had any coating on the brick lid, but these Skutts do.

1 hour ago, Dick White said:

Pictures in the morning. These are OEM Skutt lids, no repairs that I know of. I installed them probably 10 years ago and am the only one who performs maintenance in that studio (new elements annually, kiln sitter parts as needed, etc.) and I never did anything to the lids. Yes, I understand lids are not generally coated, or at least none of the dozen or more L&Ls and Paragons I've worked on over the years had any coating on the brick lid, but these Skutts do.

Hmm, seems Skutt coated with refractory, not sure if they still do. If it’s not too bad looks like they suggest repairing or  else flipping. After it’s flipped you likely could topcoat just to make it look good again. See below. Looks like no pictures required.

02C7733B-917A-434C-872B-2A9AED33882E.png

I think the newer (thats after the 90s) skates used a coating on lids-all my Skutts are before they used lid coasting only crappy simi stainless steel thats rusted quickly.

My suggestion is if the top of lid is in primo shape as Min said flip it-best option and its easy.

if not and you have some ITC 100 coating  around sand old coating  to get the loose stuff off and spray over as ITC  over it as it sticks like nobodys business forever.

Yes, definitely a refractory coating, about 1/16" thick. It is cracking and lifting off the surface in a few places. I've avoided manipulating it out of fear it will all peel off.  Thanks Bill for finding that bit of a Skutt maintenance page. It definitely looks like a flipper. Interesting idea Mark for the ITC. I don't think I have enough left over from when I did my whole kiln over 10 years ago, so perhaps I'll order some more to do the tops-soon-to be-bottoms. Thanks for the advice.

13 minutes ago, Dick White said:

Yes, definitely a refractory coating, about 1/16" thick. It is cracking and lifting off the surface in a few places. I've avoided manipulating it out of fear it will all peel off.  Thanks Bill for finding that bit of a Skutt maintenance page. It definitely looks like a flipper. Interesting idea Mark for the ITC. I don't think I have enough left over from when I did my whole kiln over 10 years ago, so perhaps I'll order some more to do the tops-soon-to be-bottoms. Thanks for the advice.

Dick,
If it helps - anywhere I have used the coating I have always experienced definite measurable positive results.

F6C6873D-48E5-44FA-A597-6D8D02366590.png

Flipping is the best option. Re-coating would require removing all the old coating, which would be a mess. Another option is to swap the lid and floor if the floor is in better condition. A new lid is not cheap since they ship via freight, so you could look for a cheap old used kiln for parts. Or just ignore the flaking and put a cover shelf at the top of the load.

• 2 weeks later...

My lid was shot so I bought a lid that was only fired once and the coating on it was popping off in huge bubbles.   I was going to use the smooth side,  it bubbled the first time I fired it.   I called Paragon about there lid repair,  they said it was perfect for a new lid just follow the directions in the  application.   I have to reapply it now and then but I don't have any trouble with dust or crumbs falling.   Paragon said that the old lids have the bricks moving around so crumbs and dust will still be a problem.  Flipping is definitely your best bet.  Denice

Archived