Firing green ware straight to cone6

Hgardner

The Acid Processor is in the rolling mill. I worked in the sheet mill; just remember seeing the huge squarish reinforced fabric bags full of dry red powder stacked up over there, and also going out by rail (usually, sometimes by ship; never saw them loaded on trucks). My understanding is those interested in said powder use it for pigment, e.g. paints, coatings, etc. The Acid Processor area is something to stay away from, rather like the zinc pot (for those who don't work in the sheet mill, that is).

Fascinating, yep! Best job I ever had, in terms of exciting and high energy stuff going on, micro community, history, sciency stuff, etc. … After x years of second round of college for computer science, got to see first hand semi-modern ("we don't fly to moon" is another story for another day...) process control...

Very cool, if it was red powder in open air that means they boiled the HCl off and then continued to heat it to liberate the chlorine, smart move to deal with it all in one process.  I originally wanted a chemical engineering degree but switched to computer science, wish I would have stuck with it since there's so much more practical knowledge. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, aliceb said:

Help Needed Please 

I would like to apply a clear glaze to greenware or wet clay.

Can someone please recommend a clear glaze made for applying to greenware or wet clay?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!! 

You may get some suggestions but you will need to test anything suggested  on your clay with your firing schedule. Glazes generally are not created specifically for once fire. Are you seeking a matte or gloss?

@billkielb   thank you for your reply,  either matte or gloss will work fine, thank you

On 1/11/2020 at 8:16 PM, Bill Kielb said:

You may get some suggestions but you will need to test anything suggested  on your clay with your firing schedule. Glazes generally are not created specifically for once fire. Are you seeking a matte or gloss?

12 hours ago, aliceb said:

@billkielb   thank you for your reply,  either matte or gloss will work fine, thank you

Try Glazy.org for recipes. It is a free resource and you will likely find some recipes to try. You will need to confirm that they work with your clay, your glaze and your firing schedule which will be a longer schedule resembling a bisque and glaze schedule combined  together.

Tony Hansen has several clear recipes on his site as well, along with detailed discussion on materials, behavior, development, etc.

https://digitalfire.com/4sight/recipes/index.html

Hesselberth has some glazes listed on his site (colours only, no clears); see the notes - some he recommends, some not so much.

http://www.frogpondpottery.com/tested-glazes/mid-fire-stonewareporcelain/

I use both types of Iron -I buy it in 50# bags ,ceramic grade and synthetic rio -the synthetic has better color and I tend to use it more these days.Its almost a red at cone 10.I switched over about 10-15 years ago to synthetic for better looking brighter wares

1 hour ago, Hulk said:

Tony Hansen has several clear recipes on his site as well, along with detailed discussion on materials, behavior, development, etc.

https://digitalfire.com/4sight/recipes/index.html

Hesselberth has some glazes listed on his site (colours only, no clears); see the notes - some he recommends, some not so much.

http://www.frogpondpottery.com/tested-glazes/mid-fire-stonewareporcelain/

Thank you very much!!

11 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Try Glazy.org for recipes. It is a free resource and you will likely find some recipes to try. You will need to confirm that they work with your clay, your glaze and your firing schedule which will be a longer schedule resembling a bisque and glaze schedule combined  together.

Thank you so much!

Archived