Brent foot pedal bolt issues

KarenO

Hi. I’m struggling with my foot pedal to my Brent B wheel. I bought it used and the pedal has always been loose- it falls to the top speed position as a default. So when I use it I keep my foot on it at all times. If I need to remove my foot from the pedal I turn the power off so that the wheel doesn’t zoom up to top speed. I assumed the bolt was loose or perhaps had dried clay in it, so I tried to remove it with a wrench. Now I’m in a situation where it’s basically stripped. I can’t tighten or loosen it.   I have the base to the pedal off and it appears like it’s in good shape. The plastic arm looks fine and engages with the speed control. The issue is the bolt no longer moves with the foot pedal.   Is there any way to get the bolt out?  I bought a new one and it’s getting shipped but I’m at a loss. 

Thanks in advance!  Karen 

When you say it's basically stripped, Karen, what do you mean? Have you rounded the nut so the wrench doesn't grip anymore?  Are you using the right size wrench or an adjustable wrench? If you are using an adjustable wrench, get the correct size wrench to fit the bolt head which is probably still sound and vice-grips for the stripped nut which is a lock nut. If either of these don't work, cut the bolt off with a hacksaw. It would be best to hold the foot pedal in a vice for this procedure...

With the proper wrench and vice grips you should be able to tighten it, too. Send a photo of your stripped bolt or nut for better analysis...

JohnnyK

Hi Karen, 

Is it the big pivot bolt? Given the bushings are in good shape, matching new bolt very likely available at hardware store - however, new bushings and washers a good idea. You might save the worn ones for down the road. I'd grease the moving parts with my best grease!

My guess is the bolt is galvanized or stainless, clay being wet...

You might cut away the part with a Dremel tool fitted with a cut off wheel if it's not possible to grip both ends and JohnnyK suggests - safety glasses, hearing protection, good light, steady hands.

brendt bolt.JPG

11 hours ago, KarenO said:

Hi. I’m struggling with my foot pedal to my Brent B wheel. I bought it used and the pedal has always been loose- it falls to the top speed position as a default. So when I use it I keep my foot on it at all times. If I need to remove my foot from the pedal I turn the power off so that the wheel doesn’t zoom up to top speed. I assumed the bolt was loose or perhaps had dried clay in it, so I tried to remove it with a wrench. Now I’m in a situation where it’s basically stripped. I can’t tighten or loosen it.   I have the base to the pedal off and it appears like it’s in good shape. The plastic arm looks fine and engages with the speed control. The issue is the bolt no longer moves with the foot pedal.   Is there any way to get the bolt out?  I bought a new one and it’s getting shipped but I’m at a loss. 

Thanks in advance!  Karen 

This is a regular  hex head bolt and nylock nut. Do you have the proper wrenches? You will need two, one for each side of the bolt, whether tightening or loosening. The nut is designed to be difficult to turn whether loosening or tightening. It will never spin freely.

The plastic arm that goes in speed control is what mayters most as it locked to bolt witha Allen screw. YUou should be able to get the old bolt out with a vice grip and wrench-1st looosen set scre on plastic arm -also i have found a shot of liquid spray silicone really helps make the speed control last longer while you are in there.I just replaced a friens foot pedql guts and am sourcing the potentiometers as they have top be cheaper than Brents for 79$.

I think the right tools are needed to get that bolt out.

I don't know about the newer pedals, but it used to be that the head of the bolt was held in place by the pedal itself- it fit into a space on the side of the pedal, which kept it from spinning when you tightened the nut. I've seen the head of the bolt strip out so it doesn't hold any more, and you can't get a wrench on it either. There really isn't anything special about the bolt, though. Get a replacement at the hardware store and swap over all the nylon parts.

10 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I don't know about the newer pedals, but it used to be that the head of the bolt was held in place by the pedal itself- it fit into a space on the side of the pedal, which kept it from spinning when you tightened the nut. I've seen the head of the bolt strip out so it doesn't hold any more, and you can't get a wrench on it either. There really isn't anything special about the bolt, though. Get a replacement at the hardware store and swap over all the nylon parts.

The nylock nut, washers and nylon inserts are the important part for adjustability. the bolt is standard stuff. If the head is embedded in a cast retainer we can provide a relatively easy way to extract this. Pictures probably would help a bunch here.

23 hours ago, neilestrick said:

This is exactly what was happening and I couldn't get it to grip to tighten it.  I was able to get the bolt out of the pedal and I've ordered the replacement bolt/nylon parts from Amaco (before I realized there wasn't anything special about them).    I am waiting for the bolt to arrive and I'll try it out.  I'm a bit worried that the space on the side of the pedal is stripped and won't hold a bolt securely (it seems almost more of a cup than an angular space, but I'll see.)

I'm attaching a photo of the old bolt (which I've now removed).

Thank you everyone for your help! Karen

bolt.jpg

12 minutes ago, KarenO said:

This is exactly what was happening and I couldn't get it to grip to tighten it.  I was able to get the bolt out of the pedal and I've ordered the replacement bolt/nylon parts from Amaco (before I realized there wasn't anything special about them).    I am waiting for the bolt to arrive and I'll try it out.  I'm a bit worried that the space on the side of the pedal is stripped and won't hold a bolt securely (it seems almost more of a cup than an angular space, but I'll see.)

I'm attaching a photo of the old bolt (which I've now removed).

Thank you everyone for your help! Karen

bolt.jpg

Nice job removing. I have occasionally had to wedge a flat blade screwdriver between the top of the bolt head and casting to  get it started to remove. One comment, when you reinstall the washers and nylon inserts  with the new bolt they allow for the bolt to be tightened enough to provide some friction to the pedal so it’s does not just fall nor is it too stiff to operate. Adjust to your personal taste. The nylock nut should allow you to set how much friction you prefer in the pedal with only an occasional  slight tightening as the parts and pedal wear.

nice work!

Archived