Kiln never got to cone 6, should I wait longer?

15 hours ago, Babs said:

Yeh Kraythe..concern shown not personal criticism for sure.

Benzine's system may work fot you.

Any one think of a self supprting flue system for this setup?..free standing the kiln could be wheeled under?

Should be possible.

My gas kiln from years ago had a short flue emerging from kiln..and a hood  and main flue suspended a short ways above that.

All from other folk's cast offs.

I dampened the short flue with a brick at start of firing and then later for reduction purposes.

If on wheels that kiln could have been moved under that suspended hood and flue.

Stay safe. 

My driveway is not level and I wasn't into making a multi thousand dollar modification to my house to put a hood inin. I fire once every 2 or 3 months, not every day. I am a hobbyist with a very heavy responsibility job as a software engineer, not a professional ceramics maker. If i was a pro or I could afford my own shed studio, I would do all of what you talk about.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kraythe said:

My driveway is not level and I wasn't into making a multi thousand dollar modification to my house to put a hood inin. I fire once every 2 or 3 months, not every day. I am a hobbyist with a very heavy responsibility job as a software engineer, not a professional ceramics maker. If i was a pro or I could afford my own shed studio, I would do all of what you talk about.

They make leveling casters, that can be adjusted, with a screw.  You could also have something, like a small trailer jack, that could also be used to level a kiln cart.

Alternately, you could make a small ramp, that would be the counter angle, to the slope of the driveway, that would allow the kiln to sit level. 

We definitely don't want to give you a ton of extra work, or to discourage you from ceramics, but we also want you to be as safe as possible. 

7 hours ago, kraythe said:

Hood and flue I suggested I made from scrap. Was just thinking how your set up could be less risky by having a stand alone hood /flue outside to which you  rolled your kiln...

Just thinking here.

Amazing what the passion for claywork drives us to inventing and doing.

Think it was Benzine here or perhaps Joseph who was throwing from a lounge chair.

I used to throw pn an Old tractor seat. Too hard and heavy by far.

My scrap clay was flung into an old standalone bathtub.

My claywork done between midnight and the next day...small children ,building house and half of running a farming property but I had to do my clay fix or not human enough to live with.

Some may say it didnt work.....

18 hours ago, Babs said:

Hood and flue I suggested I made from scrap. Was just thinking how your set up could be less risky by having a stand alone hood /flue outside to which you  rolled your kiln...

Just thinking here.

Amazing what the passion for claywork drives us to inventing and doing.

Think it was Benzine here or perhaps Joseph who was throwing from a lounge chair.

I used to throw pn an Old tractor seat. Too hard and heavy by far.

My scrap clay was flung into an old standalone bathtub.

My claywork done between midnight and the next day...small children ,building house and half of running a farming property but I had to do my clay fix or not human enough to live with.

Some may say it didnt work.....

I have worked with metal, forging, blacksmithing as a hobby for years. I am perfectly happy with the setup and have fired over 30 times with it with no issue. The garage door doesnt get hot. And I couldn't fire outside because of sudden rains that Texas is subject to.  I am quite surprised at the negative reaction. It smacks of elitism. not all of us can afford a studio and I make do with what I have.

59 minutes ago, kraythe said:

I have worked with metal, forging, blacksmithing as a hobby for years. I am perfectly happy with the setup and have fired over 30 times with it with no issue. The garage door doesnt get hot. And I couldn't fire outside because of sudden rains that Texas is subject to.  I am quite surprised at the negative reaction. It smacks of elitism. not all of us can afford a studio and I make do with what I have.

The majority of us don't have a studio and work out of our garages, there's nothing elite about safety, we just see something like that and it's concerning.

It's not elitism, it's a safety issue. The  rule is that you don't run a gas kiln indoors without a vent hood. The issue is not with the 30+ times that it worked fine, it's about the one time that it does not work fine, and there's no way to direct the rising heat out of the garage. It's an insurance policy. You probably won't need it, but you'll be glad you have it if you do.

I have seen gas kilns where the kiln exploded and another where the door was blown off due to gas buildup. Another where the flames grew to several feet due to a regulator issue. Another where the floor gave out and kiln collapsed. Another where the lid cracked in half, etc. Everything's fine until it isn't. The solution doesn't have to be something expensive. Simply moving the kiln outdoors solves the problem. You'll have to plan your firings around the weather, but it will be safer.

Archived