Cementing together large clay pieces

I have a fully fired sculpture of a body.  I need to attach the upper torso to the lower body.  Each piece is about 2.5 feet high.  The pieces fit together well and with balance.  Thought I could use cement and clay but was told that it would not really work.  Then there is extra strength epoxy.  Any knowledge of suggestions would be appreciated.

JB weid is the right stuff-the quich set is less runny -the normal set is a bit more runny and takes more time to go off but it fill small space better. It mixes up black but when dry if you cut it with a xacto knifr its grey in the cut areas. I use it all the time in my wall hung ceramic fish.

I would go with the JB weld, but if you have some gap issues in areas, the JB weld epoxy putty, or the gorilla epoxy putty would be very useful to bind and fill small gaps. Both of these can be painted to match the color of the sculpture. Years ago when teaching HS I used epoxy putties to repair decorative  pieces that were accidentally broken, worked extremely well, and very difficult to find the break afterwards.

best,

Pres

This is actually something that I do on a daily basis in my ceramic restoration business.   

I would use a clear 5 minute cure epoxy like Loctite or Gorilla Glue to initially bond the pieces together.

For the gaps that may be evident, I would use a 30 minute cure epoxy like Loctite...again the clear.  Once this is mixed, I would add some fillers (my mixture is micro-balloon, fumed silica and marble dust or talc).  Once mixed, add some powdered pigments to match or get close to the background color of the piece.  Smooth the fill you've made into the gaps and crack lines.   You can sand it when cured (about 24 hours or less if it happens to be hot where you are working).  Sand with the lower grits through some higher grits to smooth the fill and polish it up.

If the lines and filled areas are not perfect, you can choose to paint the areas.  I use oil paints with a urethane lacquer to protect the color and match the texture of the glaze.  I also use acrylics, though, I find it a little more challenging to exactly match the color.  I use acrylic varnishes to finish the area..mixing matte, satin and/or gloss to replicate the glaze texture.

Hope this helps.

Archived