The Best Studio Phones

All this tech talk got me thinking about solid studio telephones that last the years in a studio clay environment. You know- say your throwing and a customer/friend /gallery calls what do you do. Me I answer the phone at the wheel with what ever is on my hands-usually clay.

What I have found is smart phones-cell phones and cheap phones(all new ones) do not cut it for long. Death comes early and it’s not a prettysite.

Long ago when there was ma bell and only one Phone Company and that company owned your phone. You see they did not want to come out andfix it endlessly so they made them really well.

This is the best phone for studio use at the wheel.

I like the ones that replaced rotary phones with pushbuttons. They made them for a short time before the government cut loose withthe phone monopoly and all phones turned to junk made offshore.

These can be still had on places like e-bay. The best ones are made by western electric and last 20 plus years covered in clay as well as having the push button features we all like. If you have cut loose with your landline read this and weep as your not taking calls while throwing and if you are it’s a short-term deal before the clay gets it.

I have two in the studio one at the wheel one next to door so I can glaze and load a kiln while talking.

The humidity meters near the phone are for keeping an eye on the drying rate in shop during these wet months.

Its been raining here up to 40 inches this rain year so far.

One in the non clay shop as well.

Mark

I wish there were no phones in my studio. They drive me crazy.

I've got all the ringers turned off (except for one in a far enough place that I can barely hear it when needed.

Got my phones going though google voice so I get all my messages and texts sent to my email that I can check when I take a break.

I get no work done it seems when I have to answer phones.

But to answer your question I use all the beaters that family and friends are disposing of. There are always tons of phones people are getting rid of these days. I think I have a collection of about 10 as backups for whenever one dies

I wish there were no phones in my studio. They drive me crazy.

I've got all the ringers turned off (except for one in a far enough place that I can barely hear it when needed.

Got my phones going though google voice so I get all my messages and texts sent to my email that I can check when I take a break.

I get no work done it seems when I have to answer phones.

But to answer your question I use all the beaters that family and friends are disposing of. There are always tons of phones people are getting rid of these days. I think I have a collection of about 10 as backups for whenever one dies

My phone communication is my wife coming to the kitchen door to holler at me that I've got a phone call. Hmmm now if I take my hearing aids out. . . . She usually comes to the shop door and throws clay at me!

If you are a professional potter, those phones calls are often from galleries, placing ORDERS!

A cordless (land line) handset in a zip lock bag can follow you around the studio. And out to the kiln shed, etc, up to a couple of hundred feet.

If you are a professional potter, those phones calls are often from galleries, placing ORDERS!

A cordless (land line) handset in a zip lock bag can follow you around the studio. And out to the kiln shed, etc, up to a couple of hundred feet.

Yup, however, the stores (galleries, buyers, collectors etc) know that I hate the phone and every phone call I answer is a delay in work getting done. They are familiar with my phone "allergy" and I check emails several times a day for correspondence and I'm very good at returning any emails (or texts) that I get within a few hours.

My co-worker in studio (aka mom) used to answer the phones while painting. However she developed paralyzed vocal cords so most people can barely hear her now so no more phones (get answered) We still have and get voice mail, and texts for anyone that want/has to use phone.

However it's amazing how much more painting she gets done not that she does not answer 20+ calls a day

I'm with the no phone is best group. People that own galleries/shops KNOW that we are working and KNOW how to leave messages. I have a phone in my studio (office alcove) that has a big button for speaker phone that I hit with an elbow if hands are goopy. It's there only as a safety factor to call out. If it rings, I'll either have a message waiting for my next break, or not. If one of your dealers needs two dozen gizmos/whatsits and you haven't already made them, doesn't it stand to reason that it may take you two weeks to fullfill the order? So . . . in the scheme of things, a couple of hours isn't really going to matter, is it?

Archived