How to trim a platter wider than wheel head and giffen grip?

Get a bat larger than the platter. I do this quite often, as the larger platters I have done do not fit the wheel, so I throw on a large bat, flip when leather hard onto a bat placed on top, then trim after centering with clay chocks to hold in place. Sometimes I really don't even need the chocks as the weight of the platter holds it well.

best,

Pres

2 hours ago, Pres said:

Get a bat larger than the platter. I do this quite often, as the larger platters I have done do not fit the wheel, so I throw on a large bat, flip when leather hard onto a bat placed on top, then trim after centering with clay chocks to hold in place. Sometimes I really don't even need the chocks as the weight of the platter holds it well.

best,

Pres

ya that as well

Thick upholstery foam on a batt that fits the inside part of the platter, rim hangs over the edge. Foam raises the rim above the splashpan. Piece of plastic film on the floor to catch the trimmings. 

I don't like to trim large platters while they rest on their lip. Too great a chance of cracking the lip. I keep a chuck I threw many years ago for trimming platters that's a little bit smaller than the wheel head and about 3 inches tall. It gets the weight off the lip, and lets me trim platters of any size.

So the weight of platter is holding it centred on chuck Neil?

I actually throw a high pad of clay, higher than splash pan and set a large bat on that on which I centre the platter  Have to be sure to have an adequate amount of clay on base of platter but yes the rim is vulnerable.

21 hours ago, Babs said:

So the weight of platter is holding it centred on chuck Neil?

I actually throw a high pad of clay, higher than splash pan and set a large bat on that on which I centre the platter  Have to be sure to have an adequate amount of clay on base of platter but yes the rim is vulnerable.

Yes, the weight of the platter holds it in place for the most part. A little pressure in the center with the left hand helps. You still have to be careful, but it's not generally a problem.

Another thought here about the GG. Some of you may not know that there was a different set of  sliders actually two, the ones for low things, and the reversible ones for rods and pads. Anyway, I have used the low(first set out) sliders for low objects inside of a bevel between the rim and the bottom of the plate. This by using the sliders pointed outward, and reversing the direction of tightening(counterclockwise), and then reversing the motion of my wheel head and trim on the left side. This works very well for plates with a distinct bevel between the bottom and the rim. Hope all of that makes sense. I use the same technique on large bowls that are near the edge of the GG.

best,

Pres

23 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

also if  you are amking tons of platters Giffen sell a super large paltter grip as well. I have  one but its a bit of a pain to use as setup is slow. I just tap center and use a large bat.

So you are raising it above splash pan by..????

I usually remove my splash pan when trimming and add a larger box pan I made out of plywood. This allows me to work without having to worry about height of GG on wheel, especially with something like the pan on a CXC or other Brent wheel.

best,

Pres

A friend offered me her wheel...been in shed but was a work horse.

Maybe I'll get it as a designated trim wheel and fo just that..hmm might not ever clean my working wheel again!!

And room may be an issue.

Will check it out.

Archived