Bottom flue exit (?)

I'm always very curious to know more about this flue exit which is along the kiln as a channel in the ground. 

I do not know how to name it and also never found information about it. Would anyone know how to name it?

It seems to be very common among Japanese industrial downdraft kilns. And looks very interesting to the draft.

Sorry for poor English.

2043600587_@sayadik_1978kiln.jpg.eacc98ed592dee0a82f63348003fa2bc.jpg

464190646_potterdoddkiln.jpg.9345fffa710833bee25b6252306ee68a.jpg

To me it’s a flue regardless of position and the design is downdraft, updraft,  forced draft, induced draft ...... My background in combustion is more towards,  stokers, boilers, and  incinerators though.

Interestingly, the atmospheric downdraft kilns rely on a chimney height and size  sufficient to induce the draft evenly down and out of the kiln,  meaning they create suction if you will. Industrial equipment often uses fans sized for the amount of combustion to precisely remove (draw out) the right amount of flue gasses for efficiency reasons. In forced draft equipment (power burner) we often simply refer to it as an exhaust stack.

There may be a kiln specific name to the geometry, I only know it as a flue though. Also, sorry I don’t think my English was all that clear now that I read back through it.

It's just a flue to me, hard to tell where the burners will be on those kilns, I'm guessing on the bottom pointing up? In each corner?  I'm trying to figure out how the air will move through there and the reason for such a tiny flue opening.  Must have a really tall chimney to suck 4-6 burners worth of flame through that small opening!

I have seen similar channels in some salt kilns, but instead of being a flue, they were for holding molten salt and made to be replacable. 

10 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

It's just a flue to me, hard to tell where the burners will be on those kilns, I'm guessing on the bottom pointing up? In each corner?  I'm trying to figure out how the air will move through there and the reason for such a tiny flue opening.  Must have a really tall chimney to suck 4-6 burners worth of flame through that small opening!

I have seen similar channels in some salt kilns, but instead of being a flue, they were for holding molten salt and made to be replacable. 

In the top picture, looks like four burners with a bag wall of sorts each side. The bottom picture might have a hinged door on the right side, so not sure if this will be a car kiln in the end, Interesting! The top kiln uses structural firebrick as a lintel for the flue, the bottom, not sure. More interesting!

On 7/19/2019 at 3:26 PM, Mark C. said:

You right about its not a car kiln -my mistake I thought I saw tracks and that handle  on a car but the second photo shows a regualr hinged door and the floor is solid and not coming out.

Two different kilns byblook of pottery floor

Archived