Just now, Mark C. said:

I have handle loss from using to dry clay on our extruded handles. They crack at a later date.May be a factor as well.

I have too, but they cracked when in the wet box.   It's like they couldn't handle the swelling of taking on a moist environment.  

ok so ignore thunder and lightning and possible crash cooling..just distractions.

handle clay dryness.

I have been mulling this 25/7. nature of the beastiebabs.

I did put clay straps pulled for handles not on newspaper on wooden craft board but straight on to that grey building sheet stuff. dont usually do this. So is it pos. that the underside of the handle was drier than upper side? prob was. ...

I'll run a test next making day...some handles placed on newspaper on wooden craft board and som...well 2 ,straight on to grey stuff..

bowls..that's for another day.

Mark, Pres and Benzine my money is on you!

The explanation for that type of handle crack from Hamer's Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques is either the clay had become too weak from overworking the handle or the handle was too thin for the type of clay used. Doesn't look like they are too thin so perhaps tired old clay? What about the bowls that cracked? Are you putting that down to dunting?

8 hours ago, Min said:

The explanation for that type of handle crack from Hamer's Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques is either the clay had become too weak from overworking the handle or the handle was too thin for the type of clay used. Doesn't look like they are too thin so perhaps tired old clay? What about the bowls that cracked? Are you putting that down to dunting?

I am leaving that one on the table for now Min.

cracks don't go totally through the bowls only on inside. don't leak at the mo. Didn't have any bowls in that firing with other glaze so nothing to compare them with. will do that next firing.

See what you've done??? I am now thinking bowls arggghhh.

Off to check ewes and newborn lambs...an easy thing...some days...

overstepped my upload limit so no photo

• 2 months later...

I got round to firing a couple of mugs omitted fro. Disastrous firing above 

So consistent!

Cracks in hanldes in exactly the same olace.  So crash cooling rapid firing fire and brimstone from the Gods not involved. I'm going with sloppy or in fact t too dry construction.

Well that's off this potter's bucket list now:-//  no placing pulled handles on hardiplank but , on newspaper on wooden board as for the last 50yrs.

Not rushing to photograph these mungas!

Archived