HELP! Newbie problem with Stephenson's Slip

MollyMac

See pic. Applied Stephenson's Slip (recipe) over bisqued sculpure. Then applied some underglaze washes, then applied a clear coat.  Did a "glaze fire to cone 06" - never used that setting on my new Cone Art kiln.

Why would the slip explode off the bisque? I'm pretty sure that is what happened since big chunks of it are on the floor of kiln.

IMG_3762.JPG

not familiar with this slip but use normal slip all the time.   slip should go on greenware since it is clay.   why would you try to put it on bisque?   

yes, i know that experts can do magic but for the ordinary potter, slip should go on greenware.

32 minutes ago, oldlady said:

not familiar with this slip but use normal slip all the time.   slip should go on greenware since it is clay.   why would you try to put it on bisque?   

yes, i know that experts can do magic but for the ordinary potter, slip should go on greenware.

Thanks, I think I must have misunderstood some advice I got. So that must have been it.  Somebody suggested I bisque this particular piece first since it was a very fragile construction, lots of pieces sticking out in the wind.  I knew the answer would be simple, jeeeez.

2 hours ago, Babs said:

message to the viewer....cracks begin to appear

I am laughing so hard over that.  Many of my pieces are made to "honor the survivor" and are designed to metaphorically reference emerging from horrific trauma. This piece would do just fine as such---it's perfect!! (Alternative title: Woman kicked in head with steel-toed boots one too many times.) But seriously, looks like an interesting piece, Color Baby.

5 hours ago, LeeU said:

I am laughing so hard over that.  Many of my pieces are made to "honor the survivor" and are designed to metaphorically reference emerging from horrific trauma. This piece would do just fine as such---it's perfect!! (Alternative title: Woman kicked in head with steel-toed boots one too many times.) But seriously, looks like an interesting piece, Color Baby.

Yeh, great work color baby!

You'll never do that again unless you mean to......

Turned the other cheek just once too often... i see a series coming up...keep us posted.

Archived