Masking majolica

docweathers

Is your majolica drying soft or hard?

May need to sinter it to be sure as some majolicas lift on laying on onglaze colours or wax.

Difficult to do without messing the design

If hard..liquid wax but if it messes the decoration sintering may be the way.

You want the majolica masked so you can glaze other sections with other glazes and not get into the majolica? And if it does it can be wiped off?

Callie's spraying will "set" the maj. but it would not repel the other glaze I think.

Not having used the spray tech. other than to make the maj lose its softness I can't advise.

Thinking, it may harden maj enough for you to lay on liquid wax without spoiling the design

What I want to do is have a colored base and then pipe and intricate colored glaze on top of that rather than what I think is more common of extruding a majolica pattern on greenware firing it. Then adding the overall glaze around the majolica... I think??

I'm a backwoods potter with no training other than CAD.

31 minutes ago, docweathers said:

What I want to do is have a colored base and then pipe and intricate colored glaze on top of that

From this thread the other day I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Thought you were trying to pipe super thick slip, not glaze. Usually when glaze is really thick it crawls, if you are piping glaze not sure how you would overcome this. Calcining all the clay in the recipe to start with I would guess. I think it would be simpler to pipe really thick coloured slip then put a clear glaze over, don't know if thats an option for what you have in mind.

Ok. In the name of clarification, what I’m now picturing you doing is having some kind of piping apparatus (cake bag or other) filled with a thickened majolica glaze that has had colourants added to it. You are piping your designs onto greenware, bisquing the piece and then wanting to add glaze to the spaces in between the piping. Have I got that right?

Yes that is accurate. 

I have been putting the majolica over other glaze and this has worked out fairly well except on vertical surfaces. With a runny glaze  the majolica takes a trip south. One way I thought of dealing with this was to put the majolica directly on the bisque and then put the general glaze around it. It seems  too much work to either use latex or wax resist to coat the majolica before putting on the general glaze. I was hoping someone had found a clever way to make this an easier process

I've been doing glaze trailing on vertical surfaces with no problem, until it's fired and the underlying glaze is runny. Then the majolica travels with the underlying glaze. 

I think my next strategy is going to scrape a thin band of the underlying glaze off where I'm going to apply the majolica. Hopefully, it will get enough contact with the bisque to anchor it.

One thing I love about ceramics is that there's an endless number of things to experiment with. I'm more interested in finding new ways of doing things than actually producing pretty pots.

Archived