Refrigerator for damp box.

hershey8

I recently picked up an old , junked refrigerator, from a used appliance store. Free! What a bargain! WHAT A DAMP BOX (procrastination box)!!!  If you have room in your studio, you might consider getting one. Make sure the door gasket is good, and  tape up any vent holes it might have with metal  hvac tape.  WOW, it holds a lot of untrimmed ware and mugs awaiting handles!  This is not an original idea, but it is one that  I had to share. I keep a pan of water and a couple of soaked sponges in it for added humidity. My leather-hard ware seems to love it.  Up to now I have only had to use the freezer section , up top.  Really a great place to let my mugs and newly applied handles get to know each other.    ja

I used one for years as a damp box, kept it outside the studio. I finally rusted to the point it was nearly off the hinges. Since then I have resorted to plastic bins, will probably pour some plaster in the bottoms of some of them. I have limited space for anything as big as a fridge inside the shop now.

best,

Pres

It was good that you suggested "if you have room". I unfortunately don't have the room so I'll continue using my plaster imbedded storage container with lid. I'm still running an ongoing test with a mug that I threw 5 years ago and set it in the damp box. While it is still on the moist side of leather hard, it seems that it is starting to deteriorate. I'll check it this week and update the status of the piece...

JohnnyK

2 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

It was good that you suggested "if you have room". I unfortunately don't have the room so I'll continue using my plaster imbedded storage container with lid. I'm still running an ongoing test with a mug that I threw 5 years ago and set it in the damp box. While it is still on the moist side of leather hard, it seems that it is starting to deteriorate. I'll check it this week and update the status of the piece...

JohnnyK

5 years? I thought I was a procrastinator! lol   ja

We use a couple of bakers carts and fitted plastic cover and since on wheels can be moved around easily. The one I grabbed was $120 with cover and the other was a gift. I cut 3/4" ply shelves and we just set ware boards on those. Handled items set in there for a day before being moved to drying rack. We use additional painters plastic if you really want to slow drying to a crawl.

Archived