Sculpture stuck to base

Carl_and16

Hello,

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for the best way to remove a sculpture that has become stuck to a clay bodied base. The base was sacrificial and intended to stop any surplus glaze from getting onto the kiln shelf. It worked but I'm now faced with the predicament of removing it from something else without damaging the sculpture. Images attached in case I'm being unclear.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Carl

thumbnail_IMG_6430.jpg.116d12e5c75d5579054d45179efc08f9.jpg

Diamond grinding and/or cutter likely better option than ceramic (e.g. DeWalt DWA8909) or masonry (e.g. DW4429) grinding wheel; that said, I've a 4" masonry wheel that takes porcelain down like butta. On something like your pic, Carl, I'd likely start with the tile saw (diamond blade), then grind, then polish. The clay part (should be) easy; getting a smooth edge on the glaze, without chipping - be careful there!

However you go about this, make certain to wear safety apparel, as glaze and clay shards can be very sharp. At the same time, the materials can damage you eyes, and you are grinding silica. So wear a full dust mask, and safety goggles. I wore safety glasses a few years ago, and had a small piece of glaze that my optometrist had to flick out of my eye. Alternative was to go to surgeon and have it removed.

best,
Pres

On 10/6/2018 at 8:00 PM, Pres said:

So wear a full dust mask, and safety goggles. 

best,
Pres

Goggles are great if you can wear them, I struggle with the fit, so I wear safety glasses over my seeing glasses and have a face shield as well.  Feel like a space man when I'm dremelling.

Archived