Ok, haven't been in my studio for 4 years. Health and other issues. Got it cleaned so ready to start again. I have numerous pieces that I made prior to quitting. They have been bisque fired and are all glazed. I was working with stoneware and earthenware, I don't have my notes. should I just fire all to earthenware temps. Is there any other way to tell what is stoneware and what is earthernware? Suggestions appreciated. 

Ps after all these years, it's almost like starting over. 

Thanks in advnace

Harry Potter

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

No good way to tell unless you know your clay bodies. White earthenware looks like white stoneware, but terra cotta is pretty easy to recognize. You could just fire it all to cone 04, and those that don't melt you can refire to cone 5.

Thats the safest way-I suggest from this point forward mark your pot bottoms if you are using different temp ranges-as its just a real disaster waiting to happen. I will add its not if but when.

And now that you are back to things, keeping notes might be good.  You could either sketch the items you make in a notebook and note the clay and glaze or take a photo of the whole finished batch and similarly attach clay and glaze labels.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

In case it didn't post, Thanks to All. I finally remembered if the bottom is glazed  it's earthern ware and if not then stoneware. Wow a lightbulb moment. LOL

Yes bottom glazed earthen wares for sure.I still suggest marking the pots bottoms.From this point forward-a sharpie will work and burns off. 

My approach is to fire everything to earthenware temperature.  The items that have glazes that have not melted are stoneware and can safely be fired again to stoneware temperatures.   

My colleagues and I often fire glazed stoneware to bisque (earthenware temperature) temperature to "set the glazes" so that the pieces can be shipped elsewhere for final firing.  

LT

Archived