Best Cone 6 Porcelain?

kraythe

I finished my test run from my kiln and literally every clear glaze came out crazed, despite having some supposedly anti-craze glazes. I don't know what to use for this clay body I am using and I have about had it up to the neck with trying to find something to fit it. So I am looking for recommendations on good clay bodies for cone 6 porcelain that will actually fit some glazes. I am even open to going to cone 10 porcelain. I have limited time to do pottery and want something that I can actually fire to be functional pieces. I am open to suggestions. 

Thanks.

There is no such thing as “anti craze”glazes.  Sorry, but just as there are no jeans designed to fit all sizes, glazes need to fit the clay they are put on. Put size 2 jeans on a size 10 person and something has to give.

Tell people which clay you are using and they might be able to recommend a glaze.

I am using a cone 5-6 porcelain from my local supplier and I have had crap luck getting anything to fit without crazing from 5.9 COE glaze though 7.1. It's all a matter of degree how bad. My wife said the pots were crackling long after being unloaded even though I waited until I the kiln parts could be unloaded by hand to unload. I am using an olympic 1827g gas kiln.

5 minutes ago, LeeU said:

It would probably help to know the name/manufacturer of the type of porcelain you are using, or getting the recipe/components of the body from the maker.    

I wish I knew. They wont tell me crap about this clay, not whats in it, nothing. They just say its COE is 6.0 to which I call Bullsh...op. :) They wont event tell me what the recipie they have for it to not craze has in it so I cant use that as a base glaze. Basically I am sick of this clay and interested to moving to something else. I am used to working with midfire porcelain but not opposed to going to stoneware if I can find one with a nice texture or even high fire porcelain. 

You need to provide us with more information.

What cone are you firing to? 

What type of kiln?

Where are you located?

What suppliers are near you besides the one you are currently using? 

I find the best basic cone 6 porcelain is what Neil recommended. Standard 365. It fires a nice white, glazes fit well, it throws good and fires consistent. 

There are other nice porcelains but they are not as forgiving as standard. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Cindy S. Hess said:

I just started using Standard 365 and am having a problem finding a clear glaze that does not craze.  Can you tell me what clear glaze you use with 365?  I fire to cone 6.

Are you looking for a commercial clear or a recipe?

Welcome to the forum :)

If you are mixing a clear glaze, there are a few to try.  I don't have access to Standard, but have tried all of Laguna and Aardvark and Continental's midfire porcelains.  Get your hands on a copy of Mastering Cone 6.  They have a couple of clears in there.  Min gave me a clear recipe, I mixed up a small batch and now that Christmas is over will do further testing on it.  I also mixed up a small batch of Low Expansion Clear out of the John Britt book. More testing on this one as well.   Recipe below

F-4 feldspar    24.4

Silica          26.4

Wollastonite   14.7

Kaolin       14.2

FF 3249     20.3

Bentonite   2

Roberta

This is a glaze I got from clayart decades ago. It was revised by Ron Roy.

Version #2  Sue Hintz   Clear              works well with stains especially Crimson and picks

Cornwall Stone    33.5

G 200 spar              22

Whiting                    18

Gerstley Borate  10

EPKaolin                    5.5

Silica                           11

Add Bentonite                   2

No Crazing

Archived