Ready For Next Step

I have been involved with pottery for probably 11 years.  I stopped going recently...well, about a year ago because I want to move to the level of being able to control the firing of my own kiln.  The situation at the studio where I rent space is not ideal and I've wanted a kiln for quite a long time.  It's to the point that I've stopped doing pottery because I know the results I want are impossible to achieve in the current setting.  So....usual issue I guess, no place for a kiln or to work at home.  I imagine this topic has been worn out but I have some details I'd like to add to any discussion I've seen.

Here is what I don't have:

garage

out building

basement

room inside to really have wheel, etc.

What I do have:

front porch with cement floor.  Not a huge porch but small to medium wrap around.  I used to use my wheel on the porch when it was warm.  I live in TN.

deck...wooden

My question:

Surely there is some way I could put a kiln on my front porch....protect the siding and the top if need be.  There will be 18 inches from the sides and top.  I could cover it or have a little building type or chest there to cover it when not in use.

OR...my deck.  I'd have to reinforce/cover the wood, and there is no ceiling on the deck, but I guess again I could build or have built an enclosure for the kiln itself.

The wheel...I could always leave it at the studio and bring my work home.  Not ideal but workable.

I live alone and don't use half of my house but it's 2-story and I can't lug clay upstairs or I would turn a room upstairs into a workroom for the wheel.

Any ideas would be so appreciated.  I do not want to lose my interest in pottery.  It's saved me many times, but I can't get up the interest with the firing situation that I have currently.

I hear people say they have kilns on porches, some say you could never do that, etc., etc.  I just feel like there is a way to made do with what I have so I don't lose the hobby.

Thanks for any thoughts.

AH

sure hope you can work something out that allows you to work at home.  do you have a measuring tape and will you please use it to give dimensions of the porch you want to consider using?  do not forget height as well as length and width of the space.  a photo showing the actual space would be very helpful.  an idea of your budget would also help.  are you willing to buy something used or are you determined to have only new equipment?

what size work do you like to make, tiny things or enormous sculpture?  is there room for the extra things that go with being a potter, even part time.  any and all info you can think of will help the members here think of a solution.  

I enclosed a car port in Texas for a studio and a back patio in Montana for my kilns. -the one in Montana was enclosed on 3 sides to protect kilns from weather. I'd put the kiln on the concrete porch. Maybe you could enclose a section for a workspace. Many people work in small space. I don't know what your electric rates are like, but I found these electric wall heaters to be very efficient. They can heat a 20 x 10 space . You would need to insulate the ceiling and walls. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zeny-400-w-Eco-Pro-Ceramic-Wall-Mount-Panel-Convection-Heater-Electric-Space-Heater-with-thermostat/383979147?sourceid=csebr03a3784d6c34e04f0db5afee2f53f703d8&wmlspartner=bizratecom&affcmpid=4186308615&tmode=0000&veh=cse&szredirectid=15002080904577675280410070301008005

I got mine on eBay. I needed 5 for my 600+ sq ft. They work well. My friend in Miss. has them in her studio.

Marcia

<snip. I ...don't use half of my house but it's 2-story and I can't lug clay upstairs or I would turn a room upstairs into a workroom for the wheel. <snip>

Are you able to relocate any of your downstairs uses to the upstairs and put your studio on the first floor?  

-SD

I use a small screened-in back porch for my kiln, which sits on kiln stand on a sheet of Hardi Backer over a wood floor. It is vented to the outdoors. I bought heavy duty weather-resistent vinyl sheeting (like for outdoor restaurant patios) to enclose the porch--had a friend stretch it onto wood frames to make sliding panels. It is wonderful and the roll was only a couple of hundred dollars with some leftover. Clear as glass and helps keep the cold down a bit in the NH winter. A portable heater takes the chill off as well. Hot as Hades at the height of summer but I have it rigged so I can slide two opposite panels aside and open the porch back to the screens for air.

The studio and my wheel are in my former bedroom-12 x 14. All I had to do was install a small utility sink, put inexpensive truck bed liner over the floor, and be willing to sleep in the spare room. I use my dining room space for an "office" and art supplies, work planning, plus storage of packaging etc. There are some pics in my gallery. My 2-cents worth is don't compromise and separate the wheel/studio from the kiln---you can have it all! 

You can do this!!

How far is each from your electrical panel . . . you will have to run an electrical line for the kiln and, depending on size of your electrical panel, add a subpanel for the kiln.

Think about weather protection . . . how to protect the kiln from rain and/or snow/ice. As Lee noted, you can put hardiboard or even a layer of bricks/cement blocks on the wood deck to provide an adequate barrier against heat. Use a kiln stand to allow circulation under the kiln.

If you put the wheel on the wood deck it may vibrate. Many, many years ago I tried this. The deck was solid but 12 feet off the ground. While pulling up the walls the wheel would vibrate and it was the only thing moving on the deck.

Consider hardwiring the kiln to the power box instead of using an outlet/plug to avoid corrosion from humidity. Give your electrician a copy of the wiring requirements from your manual and BE SURE they are followed with type and weight of wire. You'd be surprised how many electricians do not understand why kilns require copper wire. Also consider how long the run is from your main power box to the kiln which can affect power supply. Call the kiln manufacturer before proceeding with any questions. If you enclose the porch, consider a kiln vent. :)

Archived