^03 Porcelain

His example of a cone 10R porcelain is probably the worst example of porcelain I've ever seen. I've never used a porcelain that was that gray. It's more gray than B-Mix! I'd like to see his cone 03 body against a good grolleg porcelain like Babu or Helios to get a real comparison of color.

His example of a cone 10R porcelain is probably the worst example of porcelain I've ever seen. I've never used a porcelain that was that gray. It's more gray than B-Mix! I'd like to see his cone 03 body against a good grolleg porcelain like Babu or Helios to get a real comparison of color.

The cone 10 porcelain he's comparing it to...isn't porcelain at all, other than in name. You can't get it to be translucent at all.

The zero3 looks like Southern Ice, but maybe a hair warmer in colour. It's extremely glassy, even as thick as Tony throws those sample mugs. You can see daylight through them.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know where to buy NZ kaolin and Veegum T in Europe? I recently moved to Spain from Los Angeles, where everything was so easy to find, and my searches for these two materials come up with nothing.... HELP!! TIA

1 hour ago, oldlady said:

read glazenerd's answer above.

I’m sorry, other than his suggestion of substituting with Grolleg and macaloid I don’t see any reference to where to source NZK and Veegum T in Europe. Am I missing something?

I see. However, Tony Hansen, the creator of this body, its firing schedule and glazes, says the following (my underlining):

The only solution was a switch to New Zealand Kaolin (which contains only 0.15% iron) and VeeGum. The result is dramatically better”.

That’s why I was asking about where to buy these two materials in Europe.

Has anyone had any success substituting them with Grolleg and macaloid as suggested by glazenerd?

In Europe youre looking for their lowest iron Kaolin.  Here in the US it's Grolleg or tile 6.  Grolleg is .7% and tile 6 is .5% iron.  You can use any Kaolin it just won't be as bright white!  

As far as veegum vs macloid, veegum is a macloid if I'm not mistaken, veegum being the trademark name.  Either way you want a binder like this that is low in iron as well.  Bentonite is a bad binder for this because it's high in iron.  Veegum is expensive, so is frit, so this clay will cost a lot to make.

VeeGum T is a colloidal magnesium aluminum silicate. It's very expensive to use in clay bodies, but it works really well. I used to mix a porcelain with it, and the VGT accounted for 25% of the cost, even though it was only 2% of the mix. Even so, the body was still within an acceptable price range for porcelain.

Archived