shed for firing kilns

Here is what I have. A 10 X 20 screened,roofed area off my back porch. It's really a cattery, but the 200 amp electrical box is just 5' from where my kiln is. Kiln is basically outside, but no rain or "snow" gets on it. I like this approach because even with an Enviro vent the fumes are sometimes pretty strong. It's been like this for 6 years and the kiln seems to be holding up OK. The cats know when its on and don't jump on it. If it is really cold outside, I try to wait for a warmer day to fire, and in the hot summer I run a small fan aimed up at the control box. Just an idea for you.

I am trying to start building a home studio

I dont have any space in my house for the studio or the kilns

I was considering buying a wooden or metal shed

any suggestions?

thank you!

I share a large studio with my daughter but I've mainly worked from a large wooden shed in my garden for the past fifteen years. My kiln lives in the corner opposite the door and before I installed it, I built a single brick wall approx six inches away from the shed interior wall, six inches higher than my kiln and six inches longer than the kiln is wide, on the two sides. I lined these walls with tiles and on the floor in a square between the walls, I put stone floor tiles. So my kiln is safely tucked into the corner (about four inches away from the tiled walls) but is easily accessible (I've not explained this very well really, but imagine two sides and the bottom of a big open box) I also have an extractor on the back wall over the kiln but even so, I don't work in the shed when firing.

It's amazing how much kit you can fit into a big shed .... I have windows all down the long side and under these is my slab roller and a work table. Under these I keep my slip and glaze buckets, standing on wooden bats with castors on for easy moving. By the door I have a wall-mounted extruder. Along the other walls I have lots of shelving and under the window on the other shorter side is my wheel. I keep my clays in frost-proof bins outside.

I absolutely love my shed and hope you get every bit as much pleasure out of yours as I do from mine

Kind regards

Christine

In Montana I had a test kiln and a large oval on a covered patio. They were there for about 10 years. In Texas I built a 10 x 20 cinderblock shed with barn doors. I have three electric kilns in there and 2 raku kilns. It rains so hard here, I wanted all kilns inside. I open the barn doors when I raku and pull the pieces from the kiln to outside smoking containers. The shed has separate electrical box for the kilns.

Marcia

I have a metal awning that cost about 150 bucks which is 10X10 ft. It's built with 2X4's and cheap metal roofing in 10 ft lengths. It's a bit tricky to build one up under the eaves of your house and attach the roofing. We built mine on the ground and lifted it up into place where we had attached some plywood cleats to the exterior wall. Attaching the front two posts is simple, for mine I just set them on cinder blocks with the square 4x4 post hole in the top. I drilled a hole in the wall where I attached a plug inside a weather box. This probably wasn't necessary because it's dry under there, but for safety sake.

I bought a nice 10x16 barn with a "barn" roof, so it has a loft. We insulated the ceiling, in between the loft and the shed, and insulated the walls. Then put in sheetrock on the walls and ceiling, painted, but didn't 'mud'. (sounds funky, but it really isn't) We put cement board under the kiln, and along the kiln corner walls. We cut a scuttle hole in the ceiling directly above the kiln, put in a boxed in shaft, but hinged it and put it on a cable..... I pull the cable, the ceiling opens up, and I have a exhaust fan pulling out the fumes. There are two windows... one beside the kiln and one above my wheel corner.

Here are the mistakes we made....

1) insulate the roof, not the ceiling. Anything in the loft freezes (or overheats), so it doesn't get used as much as it could have been. We also put a ceiling over the opening, and only left a scuttle hole.... Wish we hadn't done that. If we had insulated the ceiling and left the opening, I could have actually used that space.

2) I really wish we would have gone ahead and insulated the floor. We're considering sealing the underside and 'blowing' in insulation under. Man that floor is cold! Which means that nothing can be on the floor when it's going below, say 30.... So four months of the year!

3) I loved the look of the double barn doors, but they don't seal tightly, they couldn't be insulated, and the take up twice as much 'wall'. We're going to add insulation on the exterior walls and add siding next summer, so I am going to lose the 'barn' look anyway. We're going to go ahead and seal the second door up and install an insulated exterior door.

4) Along the entire back wall, I have a table height work bench, and two shelves. The problem there is the shelves don't adjust, so it seems like their always too close together. Which means that the work bench gets used as a shelf instead of the work bench I need. I wish I had put in adjustable shelves in short, maybe two or four foot lengths, instead of two 8' non-adjustable. I wish I had skipped the stationary shelves and work bench altogether. I have one old "Pantry" type kitchen cabinet. I love it. It has three adjustable shelves and the door closes, not tightly, but completely. With only a small amount of effort, I can almost 'seal' it. We cut a couple of extra shelves to size, so if I'm working on platters, I have the space when I need it. It's 20" square, 4 foot, six inches tall. I wish I had a wall full of them, with maybe an adjustable shelf above, but in two or four foot lengths and not 8. Then maybe a sturdy folding table for when I need a work bench.

I guess my two cents equals.... everything needs to be adjustable! The way I worked five years ago, isn't the same way I work now!

I bought a nice 10x16 barn with a "barn" roof, so it has a loft. We insulated the ceiling, in between the loft and the shed, and insulated the walls. Then put in sheetrock on the walls and ceiling, painted, but didn't 'mud'. (sounds funky, but it really isn't) We put cement board under the kiln, and along the kiln corner walls. We cut a scuttle hole in the ceiling directly above the kiln, put in a boxed in shaft, but hinged it and put it on a cable..... I pull the cable, the ceiling opens up, and I have a exhaust fan pulling out the fumes. There are two windows... one beside the kiln and one above my wheel corner.

1) insulate the roof, not the ceiling. Anything in the loft freezes (or overheats), so it doesn't get used as much as it could have been. We also put a ceiling over the opening, and only left a scuttle hole.... Wish we hadn't done that. If we had insulated the ceiling and left the opening, I could have actually used that space.

2) I really wish we would have gone ahead and insulated the floor. We're considering sealing the underside and 'blowing' in insulation under. Man that floor is cold! Which means that nothing can be on the floor when it's going below, say 30.... So four months of the year!

3) I loved the look of the double barn doors, but they don't seal tightly, they couldn't be insulated, and the take up twice as much 'wall'. We're going to add insulation on the exterior walls and add siding next summer, so I am going to lose the 'barn' look anyway. We're going to go ahead and seal the second door up and install an insulated exterior door.

4) Along the entire back wall, I have a table height work bench, and two shelves. The problem there is the shelves don't adjust, so it seems like their always too close together. Which means that the work bench gets used as a shelf instead of the work bench I need. I wish I had put in adjustable shelves in short, maybe two or four foot lengths, instead of two 8' non-adjustable. I wish I had skipped the stationary shelves and work bench altogether. I have one old "Pantry" type kitchen cabinet. I love it. It has three adjustable shelves and the door closes, not tightly, but completely. With only a small amount of effort, I can almost 'seal' it. We cut a couple of extra shelves to size, so if I'm working on platters, I have the space when I need it. It's 20" square, 4 foot, six inches tall. I wish I had a wall full of them, with maybe an adjustable shelf above, but in two or four foot lengths and not 8. Then maybe a sturdy folding table for when I need a work bench.

I guess my two cents equals.... everything needs to be adjustable! The way I worked five years ago, isn't the same way I work now!

Hello, This really helps and is so timely. I just got a new pine treated bldg. delivered yesterday: 12x24. It has nothing in it and is a blank "canvas" to work with. So far my husband has drawn up the blueprint for sockets and lighting, but nothing has been started yet for preparation for the electrician. He has 14 wall sockets at 4' high all along sides and back walls and two 8'ft flourescent lights along each side and a 4' one along back wall. No windows at all and it does have double barn doors. Your entry makes me reconsider some of my plans. The wooden floor for instance. It is up on 16" cement piers w/termite shields in between them and floor of bldg. We live in SW Louisiana so the cold is very sparce at freezing degrees, but is very hot in summer. I am wondering about shelving and if I should put windows or if the lighting will be sufficient. We will have to install an air conditioner window unit and have ordered a floor heater. My kiln will remain in the existing studio so that will not be a problem. I intend on putting my wheel in new bldg tho and several work tables. This studio will be for my handbuilding and wet work. The existing studio will be for drying and firing. Glazing can be done either place, but glazes will probably remain in old bldg. They are right next to each other. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, This really helps and is so timely. I just got a new pine treated bldg. delivered yesterday: 12x24. It has nothing in it and is a blank "canvas" to work with. So far my husband has drawn up the blueprint for sockets and lighting, but nothing has been started yet for preparation for the electrician. He has 14 wall sockets at 4' high all along sides and back walls and two 8'ft flourescent lights along each side and a 4' one along back wall. No windows at all and it does have double barn doors. Your entry makes me reconsider some of my plans. The wooden floor for instance. It is up on 16" cement piers w/termite shields in between them and floor of bldg. We live in SW Louisiana so the cold is very sparce at freezing degrees, but is very hot in summer. I am wondering about shelving and if I should put windows or if the lighting will be sufficient. We will have to install an air conditioner window unit and have ordered a floor heater. My kiln will remain in the existing studio so that will not be a problem. I intend on putting my wheel in new bldg tho and several work tables. This studio will be for my handbuilding and wet work. The existing studio will be for drying and firing. Glazing can be done either place, but glazes will probably remain in old bldg. They are right next to each other. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

However many wall sockets you think? add more..... no matter what, mine are in the wrong spot. I also wish I had a few sockets at two foot, and not all at four foot (Mine are ALL at 4) I have overhead lights, and detest them. Most of the time they are off and I have a old style floor lamp, with adjustable lights that I can "point" where I want. Maybe I wouldn't hate overhead lights that weren't blinding four foot long flourescents? I do love having a window right beside my wheel. Wish I had one on the other wall in front of me. I do have a window air conditioner, but hate using it. I'm in Kansas, where it's hot and humid, or super cold and dry. (at least this year.) The air conditioner dries everything too fast, no matter how well protected.

I'm horrible about cleaning up behind myself, and have trimmings all around my wheel. I stapled up plastic flannel backed tablecloths on the wall and tacked them down under my wheel. Once in a while (not nearly as often as I should), I move my wheel, pull the wall cloths down, and pick up the floor cloth and toss all three. I know... wasteful, but better than dust!

I really wish I would have held out for a little longer and got mine as big as yours..... But I guess one never has enough space. I would love it if my kiln was in another space and my barn was all for 'making'. And 12 x 24 would be great!

However many wall sockets you think? add more..... no matter what, mine are in the wrong spot. I also wish I had a few sockets at two foot, and not all at four foot (Mine are ALL at 4) I have overhead lights, and detest them. Most of the time they are off and I have a old style floor lamp, with adjustable lights that I can "point" where I want. Maybe I wouldn't hate overhead lights that weren't blinding four foot long flourescents? I do love having a window right beside my wheel. Wish I had one on the other wall in front of me. I do have a window air conditioner, but hate using it. I'm in Kansas, where it's hot and humid, or super cold and dry. (at least this year.) The air conditioner dries everything too fast, no matter how well protected.

I'm horrible about cleaning up behind myself, and have trimmings all around my wheel. I stapled up plastic flannel backed tablecloths on the wall and tacked them down under my wheel. Once in a while (not nearly as often as I should), I move my wheel, pull the wall cloths down, and pick up the floor cloth and toss all three. I know... wasteful, but better than dust!

I really wish I would have held out for a little longer and got mine as big as yours..... But I guess one never has enough space. I would love it if my kiln was in another space and my barn was all for 'making'. And 12 x 24 would be great!

Darla, You're really giving me some things to think about. I don't like overhead lights in my house, really wonder now if I would be happy w/them in studio. The staggering of sockets is a good idea also. Am really reconsidering putting several windows in now. My goal is to keep as much off the floor as possible. I am tripping over everything in old studio. I use my wheel as a tool mostly. I prefer handbuilding; never could get the hang of the wheel, or more than likely wouldn't put time into practice to do so. It will all probably a work in process. Just soooo happy to have space now. Keep sending the suggestions. I really appreciate them. Thanks, Cyndi

Archived