Converting Kiln Sitter Kiln To Electronic Controller

Stephen

I am filling a number of sudden equipment gaps all at once and money is an issue, I just can't afford several grand for a nice new kiln.

Although there are lots of used kilns out there in all price ranges, finding a nice one with an electronic controller on my limited budget has become a challenge. I have a 1 cf test kiln with a Bartlett electronic controller. This kiln has been fired very sparingly and the controller should be in great shape. I need to get a larger 8-10 cf kiln in place in my new studio and I am considering changing concentrating on finding a cone sitter kiln (much cheaper and readily available) with good skin, brick and working elements and swapping out the sitter controls with my Bartlett controller from my little test kiln. 

Anyone done something similar or have any words of caution? 

Build a stand alone controller that all your other kilns can plug into. The Bartlett V6-CF board is only $219; leave your other board be if you can and buy another to build a stand alone unit. That being said, if you are in a bind, there isn't anything wrong with using a kiln with a functioning sitter for the time being.

It's important to remember that your little kiln draws less power, thus you just can't swap all of the guts over and expect it to run something that draws 48 amps. While I can't say exactly what you will need (seeing I don't know what you have), most likely you'll just have to add two more relays and wires to and from if moving the whole controller over to another kiln. We'd need more info (and coffee) before a more detailed answer can be given. ;)

Well, yes with all the sudden purchases I am strapped but also I just don't use the little guy at all any more. With weekly kiln loads in it's 9 cf big brother its always just easy to include test in one of those. I bought it in 09 when I was mixing and testing glaze recipes and once our lineup was in place I just stopped using it. It's been buried behind an unused bluebird mixer for 5-6 years and I am trying to clear all of this idle stuff out to fill the gaps of the equipment my ex is taking, which includes both of our large kilns ( I got custody of the little guy and the mixer :) ) 

This is the one I have:

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=sps_ecat&Product_Code=30122-WDC&Category_Code=1IS

with the Bartlet controller. 

Your right I could just learn to use a kiln sitter or even knobs but I have gotten pretty spoiled with the electronic and pre-programmed firing schedules. In essence this conversion would recycle this equipment and it would be one less thing I would have to deal with selling and buying. As an added bonus I will add to my knowledge how to do this. Also going to just me I don't see a 2nd kiln in the near future.

Chilly, what electronic one did you use and how did you come by the knowledge to make the conversion. I am going to do some surfing later today but thought I would come to this brain trust first to see what you all said about the plan.

Build a stand alone controller that all your other kilns can plug into. The Bartlett V6-CF board is only $219

Hey dirt is this the controller u are referencing?

http://www.bartinst.com/kilns/2

looks perfect and I'm thinking of s-canning my plan and going with your advice. Can you give me some hints on the best way to hook it up stand alone for multiple kilns? Ur right that will give me a long term solution for when I add a second kiln to the studio. 

The V6-CF controller dirt was referring to is this one:

http://www.bartinst.com/kilns/1

It is the same controller that Skutt, L&L, and other kiln companies put in their digital kilns, but you can buy just the controller board direct from Bartlett.

I have recently built a complete stand-alone controller with the newest upgrade from the V6, the Genesis, which has a touchscreen and many more options. However, I do not recommend this approach to those who are not completely familiar with: 1) metalworking skills, 2) high voltage electrical experience, 3) low voltage electrical experience, and 4) a complete understanding of general kiln wiring, the specific wiring of the kiln you are going to be working on, and the specific manual controls to be replaced. Unless you are just swapping out an old digital board for a newer one, it is not plug'n'pray.

If you are looking for an easier way to upgrade a manual kiln-sitter kiln, consider either the Olympic Electro sitter, which is a complete replacement for the kiln sitter (take the old one out of its box, disconnect the main power wires, reconnect those wires to the new controller module, and put it back in the same hole), or one of the several wall-mounted stand-alone controllers. With one of these 1) install a thermocouple on your kiln, and 2) plug the new controller into the wall plug, plug the kiln into a plug on the side of the controller, load an appropriate cone in the kiln sitter, turn the kiln on to High, and let the controller turn the power on and off as needed based on the thermocouple input. Other than installing the new thermocouple, there is no alteration of the kiln and no additional electric work needed.

Dick is right, you need to know what you are doing.

I know just enough to electrocute myself and burn the place down in SPEC~TAC~ULAR fashion! :lol:

Seriously though, just turn the dials on the sitter. If it works, why bother? Don't get hung up on gear. I do my best work with absolute junk that nobody else wants. That's the best part too!

Frankestein aint got nuthin' on me....

"Stand back Honey..... cause we goin' to temp".... ;)

******BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ*********   :o !!!!!!

:lol:

Archived