Storing Sodium Silicate Long Term

oldlady

watched john britts video clip on floc-defloc glazes and saw that sodium silicate would work on slips, too.  have been using slips made from my white clay slurry with added colors for years.  some were getting low and some very thick since i do not use them as often as i used to.

worked on making and reconstituting lots of them over the last few days.  added sodium silicate to some that were very thick in their containers and used the stick blender on them. made new tests that are all recorded in the same place, for now.  made several new ones with colors recently bought.

the sodium silicate jar was dated november, 2011 and had been taped shut and arrived inside a plastic bag.  i left it upside down on the shelf for all this time and it was fine when i opened it, just a small slab of solids floating in it.  never worked with it before, only made magic water.

now that i am almost finished with the slips, i wonder about storing the ss so that i will be able to use it in future.  it is very strange stuff.  i dripped it from a stainless fork and found that if i put the fork down, a puddle would become a very solid puddle that needed scraping off the tabletop.  i used an old silverplate fork near the sink and it tarnished and had a firm skin on it later at cleanup time.

i had some ss from the 1980s that turned into a solid inside the jar.  no way to reconstitute it according to the supplier.  i do not want that to happen with this jar.  how should i store it?  i taped the top onto the jar with duct tape, put the jar into a plastic bag, sank the whole thing into a bucket of water and put the lid on.   all in an effort to keep air out.

any suggestions from those of you who have a real education and know what to do now? 

watched john britts video clip on floc-defloc glazes and saw that sodium silicate would work on slips, too.  have been using slips made from my white clay slurry with added colors for years.  some were getting low and some very thick since i do not use them as often as i used to.

worked on making and reconstituting lots of them over the last few days.  added sodium silicate to some that were very thick in their containers and used the stick blender on them. made new tests that are all recorded in the same place, for now.  made several new ones with colors recently bought.

the sodium silicate jar was dated november, 2011 and had been taped shut and arrived inside a plastic bag.  i left it upside down on the shelf for all this time and it was fine when i opened it, just a small slab of solids floating in it.  never worked with it before, only made magic water.

now that i am almost finished with the slips, i wonder about storing the ss so that i will be able to use it in future.  it is very strange stuff.  i dripped it from a stainless fork and found that if i put the fork down, a puddle would become a very solid puddle that needed scraping off the tabletop.  i used an old silverplate fork near the sink and it tarnished and had a firm skin on it later at cleanup time.

i had some ss from the 1980s that turned into a solid inside the jar.  no way to reconstitute it according to the supplier.  i do not want that to happen with this jar.  how should i store it?  i taped the top onto the jar with duct tape, put the jar into a plastic bag, sank the whole thing into a bucket of water and put the lid on.   all in an effort to keep air out.

any suggestions from those of you who have a real education and know what to do now? 

post-2431-0-35194500-1468154789_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-35194500-1468154789_thumb.jpg

I get as in assmallamountaspossible. I get it fromTrinity clay inTexas. I use it a lot on my crackle surfaces.it will eventually turn into a solid chunk. If you have a long term use for it,buy a small quantity of the dry sodium silicate and mix it yourself. I have never done this. I can consume what I buy before it solidifies.

Marcia

Ps the tests look great like terra sig.

I keep it in a plastic bottle that is a quart size. Very small opening lid. Like a shampoo bottle. The idea is keep the container with no air in it. I have had one for years-never opened it yet.So find a air tight container with small neck opening and fill it full.

thanks, all. making tests is such a pain that i try to do it well so the results are worth the effort.  i have a fat jar that contained a pint of ss.  it now has air above the level of liquid so it will solidify.  maybe i can suck it out with a squeeze bottle and store it in that under water.  now to find a squeeze bottle the right size.  meanwhile it is upside down.

it does odd things to the slip.  when i mixed it into some of the thicker colors, the mix turned into a gel.  touching the surface with a brush made it liquid again.  like opening a new commercial glaze container.  wonder if that is what they use to make it brushable?  very odd.

Its the air on the surface inside the bottle that is making it solidify-until you put it into a better bottle it does not matter underwater or now. transfer it to a non wide mouth bottle-glass or plastic with NO air in the bottle.

I've been buying the pint jars lately because of the solidification issue.  We used to consume a decent amount of SS in our studio and I was getting it in gallon size, but now I hardly see it being used.  Last time I bought one of those gallons was about 6-7 years ago and last year it turned into a solid mass in the jar.  It was the type of plastic bottle that looks like a jug with handle, not the wide-mouth style 1gal. Stored on a shelf with everything else.  I'd never heard of or seen any products do this before, weird.

i bought two 3 ounce bottles the other day.  have to find a funnel and put the ss in the bottles.  i know plastic lets air through it but i can't find a glass bottle in the right size.  have to pour it in to overflowing and cap it instantly.  then i will sink these two bottles into a wide mouth quart container full of water.

Archived